Getting a Mandarin to eat frozen foods

Mel in Elgin

Does anyone have any experience in training a Mandarin to eat frozen foods? I would love to have one, but with a 29 gallon tank I don't have the pod population to support their appetite. I've heard that you can buy Mandarins that are already eating frozen, any experience with this???

The ones that eat frozen foods are from ORA and cost a pretty penny!($100-$200)

Shane @ Fishy Business was selling them for $65.

Mel..someone on the board put a post up about a fail safe way to get them to eat frozen. I don't remember who, but if you search for it, I bet you will find it

Cool. I'll check with Shane. Thanks.

The ones that eat frozen foods are from ORA and cost a pretty penny!($100-$200)

Shane @ Fishy Business was selling them for $65.

Mel..someone on the board put a post up about a fail safe way to get them to eat frozen. I don't remember who, but if you search for it, I bet you will find it

I just got a mandarin for my nano tank and he went through the pods in a week. I'm currently reproducing pods in a separate container for him to eat. In the meantime, I did some research and came across something called a "mandarin diner." The diner is just a small glass jar (I used one made for capers) that you place in your tank with some food (I'm mixing live pods and frozen roe). The idea is that the mandarin goes into this "diner" to eat the food at various intervals so he always has a constant supply but it doesn't go all over the tank - and it keeps bigger fish from eating his food. The mandarin is the only fish in my aquarium, but he got really skinny and I was afraid he wasn't eating. I have placed the "diner" in my tank for the past three nights and I see my mandarin go in there all the time. I have seen him eat both the live pods and frozen roe. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a major difference in his weight yet, so I'm not sure that this diner is enough - but I do think it helps. Just google mandarin diner it should come up somewhere.

Edited by Teresa

Awesome. Thanks Teresa. I hope your mandarin fattens up soon :-)

I just got a mandarin for my nano tank and he went through the pods in a week. I'm currently reproducing pods in a separate container for him to eat. In the meantime, I did some research and came across something called a "mandarin diner." The diner is just a small glass jar (I used one made for capers) that you place in your tank with some food (I'm mixing live pods and frozen roe). The idea is that the mandarin goes into this "diner" to eat the food at various intervals so he always has a constant supply but it doesn't go all over the tank - and it keeps bigger fish from eating his food. The mandarin is the only fish in my aquarium, but he got really skinny and I was afraid he wasn't eating. I have placed the "diner" in my tank for the past three nights and I see my mandarin go in there all the time. I have seen him eat both the live pods and frozen roe. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a major difference in his weight yet, so I'm not sure that this diner is enough - but I do think it helps. Just google mandarin diner it should come up somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

doing some research for my new ponies and came across this: http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=176&t=6036. It's a twist on the mandarin diner. I like to take my diner out each day so I can rinse it out and keep it clean. I've also had bioload overload ever since using the diner. I'm trying to think if there is a way to keep the food in the diner (i.e. prevent the live food from swimming into the tank) but the mandarin still has access - hummm - any ideas?