Lighting questions

Eric Alvarado

I am looking for some advice on lighting.

I have a 125G tank: 52”x24x24. It has 1 WavePoint 4xT5HOfixture and one 34” 96w x 2 fixture. Because of the design of the tank has ahalf height take hood (it is paneling matching the standing which is madearound the tank), I don’t want to hang any fixtures. (seemy avatar for a picture of the tank).

So, I am considering replacing the old salt covered, rustedscrews, PC fixture. I have entertained the thoughts of LEDs, T5, MH, or anotherPC unit.

I am reluctant to get MH, because that might involve someserious upgrades / changes to the system. Such as way to mount the unit, heatconcerns (it is probably the warmest room in the house with lots of otherelectronics putting out BTUs) which would probably result in a chiller. I wantto keep it simple. I thought about a single MH pendant type, but I have no ideahow I would integrate that in the look and feel of the system or if that wouldalso be a heating problem.

I have considered LEDs, but from what I have read, LEDs don’treally put out the same amount of light inch to inch. The PC fixture currentlyuses 36”x 7”. Nothing larger will fitinto the space.

Given a space of 36” x 7”, what would be the most efficient useof light in that space?

As always, thanks to everyone who responds. The value of the input from the forum is always invaluable to me.

Eric

What kind of corals are looking to keep?

I bet you could fit a MH retro in that space. I use a Vornado fan to cool them down, same timer as halide.

Second option would be a bank of 36" HO T5s. And there are folks growing serious corals with LEDs only. You could check into a DIY fixture or look up the ecoxotic panorama line.

I like the DAS tanks but trying to retrofit lights in the space they give is really a pain. Is it one of the older models with just a couple of holes in the back or one of the newer ones where there are larger recangular openings? If you're trying to fit the fixtures under the an older models original covers I'd go with T5 fixtures. If you're seriously thinking about MH I'd try to find a carpenter to make a hood that would fit on the lip made for the original covers and maybe hide the joint with trim.

A lot of it depends on what kind of corals you want to grow. If you're keeping it easy with mainly soft and LPS then you may want to talk to mcallahan. He has some good options through ecoxotic. Like I said just depends what you want to keep.

JB/ Roller: It's mixed right now - sps/lps. I have just about everything (monitorpa, acro, lps, zoas, hammer, torch, etc) which seems to be fine with the lighting as it is. I don't have any softies (besides a couple small colonies of zoas), no leathers, mushrooms, etc.

Timfish: It has square holds in the back. I would guess the tank is about 7-10 years old based on conversations with the previous owner. Good eye on the fact it is a DAS. You never fail to impress me. :D I really don't like hoods, and would rather not go that direction if at all possible. I have really enjoyed the look and feel of the tank as is. :D Whole family loves the tank - when the fish aren't getting killed (see lot's of death thread). :(

I was considering filling that space with 24-36 Inch Marineland Reef LED Light Fixture or the 36-48"48" one. Would probably light up the filter some, but would like as much light output as possible. I wasn't sure if that would be comperable to the 2x96w PC lighting that fits that space right now.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Marineland_Reef_LED_Light_Fixture_Flexible_Mount_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-Marineland_Instant_Ocean-AS33000-FILTFILDFX-vi.html.

Also thought about Hydo's Sun Pod (or something like it if he sold it). My concern here is not the cost of the lighting, but the fact it would take a cost a lot to get a chiller in the mix. (chiller+electric). Would need to lift it up some, the existing PC lights are 2" off the water base. The T5s are 3.5 off the water.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/16302-current-usa-sunpod-250-watt/

Thanks

. . . You never fail to impress me. :( I really don't like hoods, and would rather not go that direction if at all possible. I have really enjoyed the look and feel of the tank as is. :D Whole family loves the tank . . .

. . . 24-36 Inch Marineland Reef LED Light Fixture or the 36-48"48" one. . .

. . . Also thought about Hydo's Sun Pod (or something like it if he sold it). . .

Got the whole family addicted! Good job!

Thank You! Hope though it's not from some of the stupid comments I've made (those were from before I had my coffee!).

I like the LED fixtures I have on tanks but the Marineland you have listed is only a 21 watt fixture and is going to be very dim compared to what you have on your tank now.

If you go with Hydro's light or similar you're going to end up with all your light in the center with fairly low light on the ends, I'm not saying that's bad but your tank will look very different than it does now. I would also expect some issues with placing your animals in a tank under a single MH fixture, some may do better under the brighter central area but I suspect you'll have problems finding places for some of your existing animals. If you do decide to replace your existing fixtures with a MH fixture I would go with one that uses 2 HID bulbs in along with T5's (Aquadome has one on one of thier coral tanks).

Personally I would either go with a similar fixture to what you have now or one using 2 or 4 T5's ( I think both Current and Corallife make 2 bulb fixtures that are only like 3 1/2" wide but I don't like the reflector design). If you chose to replace both fixtures I would go with a 6 or 8 bulb 54W T5 fixture that would fit your tank to keep it looking similar to what you have now.

Do you know any rule of thumb of in switching from one light sorce to another.

i.e. 1w PC lights = X w LED?

The marine land fixture also has a larger fixture in the same series.

Marineland - Reef Capable LED Lighting Systems 36" - 48" (I assume the legs EXTEND 48" while the base is 36".)

• Correct spectral output and intensity for Reef Aquariums
  • Three mode switch for all on, all off, or lunar (night) light
  • 1W 10,000k Whites / 460 nm blue LED's
  • 42 LEDs ( 1 watt)
  • 36 – 10,000K (white)
  • 6 – 460 nm (blue)

What I've read about that is that LED tends to point straight down. Not sure that is a big deal since I am trying to get light to the high rock (in the back) that the T5s don't sit over. If you look at my avatar, you will see a rock wall to the back, the T5s sit up front illuminating the deeper section of the tank (24"), the PC illuminate the back section next to the in-tank filter. I am probably illuminating 12-18" deep water in that part of the tank. Still, don't want to back out of lighiting, I want to enhance it and optimize it.

also worth noting. that fixture currently has 1 10k white and 1 actinic. The 54w T5s have 2 6.7k and 2 super blue. Been trying to figure out what combination of lighting to get in place.

Definately a family affair. Just bought my daught a 8 G biocube and looking for another 8G for my office - or I will upgrade hers to a 14 or 29 and take her 8G to the office. Just looking for the right deal to come up.

Thanks for the help.

Do you know any rule of thumb of in switching from one light sorce to another.

i.e. 1w PC lights = X w LED?

. . . The marine land fixture also has a larger fixture in the same series. . . 42 LEDs ( 1 watt) . . .

I didn't see that brighter fixture but it's I'm sure it's still going to be pretty dim compared to what you have. You can check the FAQs on this site or Reef Central to see if they have any guidance but my experience there is so much variation from bulb to bulb in just the same technology let alone different lighting technologies you need to find the actual lumens per watt for the bulbs or fixtures to get a feel for how they're going to compare. I would also recommend searching AdvancedAquarist.com, there are some good reviews in past volumes and I think Joshi Sanjey has done several comparison studies of MH against LED with charts showing light levels at different depths and Dana Riddle has a lot of good articles on lighting as well.