External Return Pump Size???

Dena

We were thinking about getting a new pump for when we set up the 280g. Question is what flow rate is best? I remember reading a post recently that slower flow rate through the sump is ideal and means a quieter pump. The holes for overflow will be about 2.5". We want to do an external pump to reduce heat in the water.

Opinions on size and brand/model would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dena

Current prevailing wisdom is 2 -4 times turnover with most in tank circulation coming from in tank sources such as powerheads and wavemakers. While the pump list is somewhat dated and limited I usually use the head loss calculator on reefcentral .

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

While that may not be the specific brand / model information you’re looking for I find it to be a good starting place.

Thanks...I'll have Jason look at that LOL

Current prevailing wisdom is 2 -4 times turnover with most in tank circulation coming from in tank sources such as powerheads and wavemakers. While the pump list is somewhat dated and limited I usually use the head loss calculator on reefcentral .

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

While that may not be the specific brand / model information you're looking for I find it to be a good starting place.

After learning about Lee Chin Eng's approach many years ago and Martin Moes success with using undergravels filters in raising clown fish I've not seen a need to have high turnover rates. Also, because of the heat issues I prefer to go as slow as possible and use pumps like Tunze Streams or Hydor Korallias or similar type pumps in tank. Obviously though people are successfull with really high flow rates.

I agree with the above advice. Run a smaller return pump and create the real circulation from in tank pumps. Slower flow means less micro bubbles returning to the tank and a quieter system. You also use much less electricity because pumps that create flow in the tank use much less electricity then return pumps for equal flow.

Small return pumps used to be standard until the really high flow rate aquariums became common and before tunze's became popular (no other propeller style pumps then). So the only way people could get large flow was from large return pumps and closed loops. But with the advent of modern internal pumps, the need for closed loops and returns using large pumps is gone.