AQUARIST'S WORSE NIGHTMARE! GLASS BREAK!

Teresa

Hi Everyone,

I came home to discover a huge leaking crack in my 24 gallon cardiff aquarium. I emptied the tank to below the break line, but I do not have another tank big enough to hold my fish. I have a medium/large lemon peel, three large chromis and a small zebra eel that need a foster home ASAP. I live in Pflugerville and if you can help please give me a call. My number is 512 662 8203. I would prefer a foster home, but I am also willing to sell the fish and restock after I get a new aquarium. I'd like to sell at face value if possible (a new tank will cost a lot).

three large chromis - $45

Lemon Peel - $30

Zebra Eel (small1 foot by 1.5" eats frozen no problem had for over 6 months)- $80

I also just bought 1/2 lbs lettuce macro algae for $10 (got in the mail yesterday)

post-1201-0-87300800-1299204021_thumb.jp

post-1201-0-75263700-1299204038_thumb.jp

Went to petsmart and bought a 29 gallon biocube. doesn't make nearly as nice a statement as the cardiff - but then again always looking through the curved glass of the cardiff was giving me headaches. water is cycling now. I'm hoping everyone makes it - especially the eel - he's super cool. Thanks for all you're support - I'll keep you updated. I'm going to call cardiff customer service tomorrow and see what they might be able to do.

Do you have any idea how it started? Was there a chip in the glass, a scratch, anything? I'm pretty paranoid about this sort of thing. I was cycling a brand new 30 gal years ago, no fish in it yet, when I heard a few pops and then water started leaking out onto the floor. Brand new tank and the bottom just cracked out of nowhere. Anyway, glad you got a new tank!

Thanks for the link :). I filled out the form and they instructed me to contact my dealer. Aquadome is currently looking into what their distributor might be able to do. Now I've got to work on finding the receipt huh.gif. Good news - EVERYONE SURVIVED!!

• 2 months later...

hey there, sorry to hear about your tank, i have the same tank and I woke up this morning to find an almost exact same crack in the same spot for no reason.... no chips and nothing hit the tank... just a random crack. I just filled out that form as well, Im thinking its a faulty tank. did you get an update from Current yet? im curious on what they are going to tell me?

Edited by optx9

Oh no - I'm so sorry to hear that!! Current told me to go through my local seller. I contacted Aquadome - they got in contact with their distributor. In the end, I was given a new tank (this process took about a month - so I ended up buying a new one anyway). Now I've posted the brand new tank and stand for sale, since I'd rather not go through the process of transferring everything again and I like the biocube I bought. I wonder if this is a common problem? I wish I had been given store credit instead - I don't know if I'll be able to sell the tank for the price of the brand new biocube and stand . . . especially if this is a common problem . . .

Where did you purchase yours from? I was definitely disappointed when Current essentially passed the buck to the distributor and LFS when this appeared to be a manufacturing defect.