Plastic Rubbermaid "Tanks?"

Brooks

Hi everyone!

Well, as my fry continue to get bigger, the fry/gallon ration decreases. At two months of age, I should only be keeping 1-2/g. That being the case, I was thinking that I could get those 30g Rubbermaid plastic containers and fill them up with about 25g, and run a very strong HOB filter on the back. I figure I could do about 5 of them at least.

What is everyone's thought on this? With age, I know the plastic will eventually break. I'd give that a year or two... However, short term this couldn't be that bad of an alternative to glass tanks, could it?

Anyways, let me know what I should look out for or be weary of.

Thanks!

-Brooks-

be careful. make sure they are going to be strong enough. i had one bust on me once and that was only a 20g container.

These are going to be "heavy duty" tubs. I will, however, reinforce them with those tie down straps they sell. I'll wrap them around it to keep it from bowing out as much.

Aquadome uses them as sumps also

Good to hear! That definitely adds some comfort, lol. laugh.gif

be careful. make sure they are going to be strong enough. i had one bust on me once and that was only a 20g container.

These are going to be "heavy duty" tubs. I will, however, reinforce them with those tie down straps they sell. I'll wrap them around it to keep it from bowing out as much.

Aquadome uses them as sumps also

Good to hear! That definitely adds some comfort, lol. laugh.gif

just an FYI

There are plenty of people who have used various sized plastic containers for frag tanks and such without too many problems (at least in the short term). Make sure you get something reinforced or it won't be able to take the weight of the water (especially if the tank is high). Most of the ones used in LFSs and the like are the higher quality Rubbermaid Stock Tanks, those huge black plastic bins with drains built in. They do make them in 50G sizes, but I'm not sure where you could get them locally.

That said if you're looking for a fry tank.... just look around on craigslist or go to a thrift store or something. You can get a used reasonably sized glass tank for cheap, and it should look nicer, make cleaning easier, etc.

I've got three of the heavy duty black Rubbermaid tubs from Home Depot on one system that are over three years and still in excellent shape. I like seeing what's going on though and would second DajMasta's recommendation on a cheap glass tank.