tell me how to better take pictures

offroadodge

Looks like a good start J.

Can't see the EXIF data to provide more feedback.

Here is some basic stuff, maybe you already know it:

Tripod

Turn all flow off in the tank

shoot straight through the glass, no angle whatsoever

a macro lens will help

learn basic post processing techniques

And go to the March meeting!

Also,

Make sure the glass is clean inside and out

Turn off all the lights in the room to reduce reflection

DO NOT wear a white shirt.

If photographing corals use slow shutter speed and an f/stop of 16-22 (use aperature priority) along with a tripod and trigger

release if no trigger release use your on camera timer (they don't move :) )

If shooting fish do the opposite, shoot at a fast shutter speed take the focal length of your lens say its a 200mm zoom set your shutter speed at a minimum of 200 (use shutter speed priority) and what ever your fstop is for the shutter speed. I also shoot in Sports Mode if is a fish that is contantly moving (my sports mode tracks whatever I lock the focus on).

For in camera white balance it is suggested you use the shade setting as it compensaties for the bluer light (I do all my white balancing in Photoshop)

Finally the best advice I can give you is shoot lots of pics and take notes, if you don't like a picture before deleting if chech your notes. This is the best way to improve not just your tank photography but will also make you a better photographer.

Here are some links to free post production software:

Gimp

Picasa

Dave-

Now you don't have to come to the March meeting :huh:

i had a sneaky suspicion that that topic would be coming up soon, i need a teacher on a few things. And i thnk my MACRO lense is to big (kinda), sometimes i can get what im looking for and sometime the magic just isnt there. Thanks for all the help in the past and the help in the future.

@jeremy; what is your macro lens?

@don; if you dont know what you want, get a point and shoot to start. start at walmart, best buy just to get your hands on some and then precision on n.lamar when you purchase. the brand of camera doesn't really matter, although canon and nikon have the biggest market share. as such, they have the most support but it becomes a ford vs chevy thing in the end.

using an slr can be intimidating. if all you want is to take macro pics of your tank, an slr and lens will become an expensive point and shoot if you dont have some understanding of photography basics. photogrpahy is even more expensive than reefing.