Copperband Butterflyfish

Lamont

I was looking into ways to get rid of aptasia and found that the Copperband Butterflyfish does a pretty good job of it. I have two peppermint shrimp and they dont even look at aptasia. They eat when the fish eat, grabbing brine shrimp as it floats by. I have read lots of posts with people that have had success with the Copperband Butterfly Fish. I know they are not completely reef safe but I hate aptasia.(dosing is not an option) Most of the forums I've read said that their Copperband didn't mess with their corals or inverts. So if anyone has a copperband please give me a little insight on your situation. Thanks! (PS I have SPS, LPS, Zoas etc..)

These are another fish that falls into to "there are no guarantees" category. That is a copperband isn't guaranteed to eat aptasia. Some will, some won't.

I'd be more concerned about getting one to eat anything. The copperband has a track record of mediocre survivability in saltwater tanks. Some will eat great from the start, but most won't.

If you do get one, buy one that is already eating. And make sure you see it eat in person

These are another fish that falls into to "there are no guarantees" category.

If you do get one, buy one that is already eating. And make sure you see it eat in person

Keep this in mind for ALL Angelfish & Butterflyfish. It'll lead to less money lost, and less heartbreak!

These are another fish that falls into to "there are no guarantees" category. That is a copperband isn't guaranteed to eat aptasia. Some will, some won't.

I'd be more concerned about getting one to eat anything. The copperband has a track record of mediocre survivability in saltwater tanks. Some will eat great from the start, but most won't.

I will keep this in mind. Its funny though that all the stores that sale this fish keeps selling out. Thats why I assumed that reefers were having success. I will checked to see if they are eating prepared food too.

Problem is if they eat the aptaisia they may like to eat other things similar to aptasia...nems maybe xenthia and similar looking things.

If you have luck with one let us know-I have the same problem.

I dont have any anemones or xenthia. Just frogspawn,zoas, lobos, Duncans and sps. I may have to watch out for my duncans if i get the fish though.

you will have a better success rate with Australian copperbands look into those they cost more but tend to be hardier and eat apstasia more often then copperbands from other areas. Mine where bought in a group buy from a sponsor of our local club, (not ARC). Like Marc said these guys are hit and miss they tend to not live long in aquariums because they end up starving, they are best kept with other slow moving eaters so they have a chance to eat.

I will keep this in mind. Its funny though that all the stores that sale this fish keeps selling out. Thats why I assumed that reefers were having success. I will checked to see if they are eating prepared food too.

They sell out b/c they are VERY popular fish. It has nothing to do with success of the keeping the fish.

I've known very few people who could keep one successfully. Unfortunately, they are a very frail fish. Might check into trying to find some peppermint shrimp that came directly from the gulf. Everyone I have ever had has gone straight after aiptasia, and I've been told of similar success from other reefers. Like wise I've never had a peppermint shrimp from a LFS that would touch aiptasia. Plus, their fun to catch.

I had a copperband butterfly that did really well in my tank. He ate my aptasia and was feeding on mysid. I ended up selling him because he was not getting along with my angels. He was also eating yellow polyps, but those do look very similar to aptasia.

You can't trust any fish (or invert for that matter) that will eat aiptasia. By that I mean, their is a great risk that once the aiptasia are gone that they will go for your meaty corals - acans, polyps, lobos, scolies - and you will be cursing yourself for having to pull your rocks to catch the little .... no angels, no butterflys, that's my rule.

I have always kept a copperband and have 0 aptasia (at least visible). That said, my first one died after 4 years and my new one picks at acans. I also had suspected him of killing my clams, but never witnessed him doing so. Beautiful fish, and if you feed well there is less chance of nipping. I am thinking of getting rid of this one (want to get some clams in the future), but if I develop an aptasia problem I will get another. In my opinion there is no better control for aptasia and the darn things are always lurking somewhere in the system.