Help with Red Slime Like Gunk...

Chad and Belinda

We've had this red stuff in our solana for the last month or so. We thought it was red slime, so we used the red slime remover and it didn't do anything (it works really good when we've had red slime in the past). We keep doing weekly water changes and can't seem to get rid of it. It gets all over everything and I keep using a turkey baster to get this stuff off my corals and a few hours later, its all over everything again. :wacko:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hmm.. it still does sounds like cyno. I wonder if it has become resistant to the red slime remove.

Like Hamp said, maybe try increasing the flow. Also you might cut your light cycle back some (does it seem to go away at night?). And maybe dial back on feedings?

Sounds like cynobacteria to me. It is very efficiant at utilizing nutriants in the water column. Even when the water column shows zero, these guys manufacture the nutriants as required.. Increase water flow and cut back on excesssive nutriants from feeding.

Keep the peace,

Patrick

You might want to add some extra flow and see if that helps out. Also check NO3 and PO4 levels.

1 MP40 in a 34 gallon. Flow is good to go. lol I'll double check the levels.

Hmm.. it still does sounds like cyno. I wonder if it has become resistant to the red slime remove.

That's what I think it is but I was a bit thrown off when the red slime remover didn't take care of it.

Like Hamp said, maybe try increasing the flow. Also you might cut your light cycle back some (does it seem to go away at night?). And maybe dial back on feedings?

Flow is good. Lights are on for 6 hours per day. All we have are T-5's now but I'm going to do a black out and cut the lighting back a bit after that.

Sounds like cynobacteria to me. It is very efficiant at utilizing nutriants in the water column. Even when the water column shows zero, these guys manufacture the nutriants as required.. Increase water flow and cut back on excesssive nutriants from feeding.

Keep the peace,

Patrick

We have drastically cut back on the feeding but only after these issues came about. Guess I need to keep doing water changes to "clean out" the water.

Aren't you running the MP40s in your solana? If so, I wouldn't think flow would be the problem. I know your Solana is packed. Is it possible you have a lot of detritus trapped in the LR?

We are still using the MP 40. I have it on wave motion. I think because the Solana is packed a lot more than it should be, combined with over feeding and some of the crashes we have had I think we need to get in there and clean the sand and rock of detritus.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I'm going to try out the suggestions and see how it goes.