Pond Owners?

ACampbell

Thanks for the pointer! It is good to know there is a pond club, though I doubt we would become members (we do own a pond). The reason is we really don't do much with our pond ... we built it, stocked it, and it takes care of itself (not like a reef tank :D ). It mainly is a "water feature" in the landscape ... even though we will probably add more (ponds/water features) down the road.

So it seems at least a few people here have ponds ... post up some pictures! That is the best thing about these pond societies, the pond tours they do. We love seeing other people's ponds.

Here is ours. It is a 100 gallon pre-molded pond. It sits on top of the ground, and all the rocks were collected from around our yard. There are 4 fish in there: 1 comet, 1 fan tail, and 2 butterfly koi.

Click the pictures for a larger view.

IMG_4451_med.JPG

IMG_4409_med.JPG

IMG_4396_med.JPG

Darn it! Now I want a pond. Do they make a dog proof fish? Do you have a UV filter on it? What kind of pump do you use? Do you have any filter?

:devil: This is just payback for all those great pictures and stories you post of your seahorses and eels ... I sooo want a seahorse tank right now. Especially when seeing the baby seahorses a guy on nano-reef has been trying to rear.

Let me preface all of my answers with: This pond was set up last November when we moved houses. We had a small 40 gallon pre-molded pond at the old house. We brought the fish and plants with us. We literally bought and setup the pond the week we moved, as I felt back for the fish (only 2 then) being stuck in a big rubbermaid container in the garage.

Our dogs have pretty much left the pond alone, and so have all the deer. Raccoons do come and mess with the plants (I need to re-pot some), but the pond is deep enough and has enough hiding places they haven't nabbed any of the fish yet <fingers crossed>.

There is no UV filter on it. I am using an old powerhead (I think the one that came in my aquapod 24!!) to to circulate water. Basically it is in one of those Bio-filter boxes you see at Home Depot/Lowes for ponds. It has bio-balls, and two filter pads in it. The output of the pump gets snaked out of the pond and into the back of the blue pot and overflows back to the pond. I probably could use a much stronger pump, but I don't want too much water turbulence. Water lilies like calm water.

To tell you the truth, I probably should rinse the filter pads out every month ... but I think I have done it once in the past six months :D

The pond is really low care. We feed the fish maybe once every couple of weeks ... they have algae and bugs to munch on. And with the semi-consistant rain we have been getting, I think I have "topped" off the pond once in the six months (I expect that to change as we push into the 90's).

Ok all of this talk is motivating me to clean up the pond this weekend (clean the filters, re-pot some plants, fertilize the plants, and remove dying lily leaves).

Thank you for the explanation.

That doesn't seem super difficult. Yours looks really cool! I know I really need something else around the house to keep clean. LOL

I think you should start a seahorse tank. Could it be a business expense? Could they be "advertising mascots?"

I am glad I could be inspiration for maintenance.

No prob (and sorry for the long reply .. was eating lunch, so had the time).

Freshwater/ponds are so much more forgiving ....

And I like the way you are thinking about the seahorses! Hmm ... corporate mascots ....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am one of the Web Administrators at the Austin Pond Society, and that is how I found your group. You are one of our top 20 referrers this month. Thank-you. I am also in charge of the Pond Tour this year and extend an invitation for you to attend on July 14th and 15th. Of course, you'll have to purchase a ticket, as this is a fundraiser. More information can be found at http://www.austinpondsociety.org/2007pondtour.

I am impressed by your website, it works really well and is laid out nicely. We are still working on ours, we went from a 100% html to a Joomla just this past January and are still working out all the modules.

I am aware of several Pond Society members that have aquariums, not sure how many have saltwater tanks, and it's nice to find out that some of your members also have ponds. Having grown up in Miami, close enough to walk to the bay everyday or ride my bike to the Everglades, I miss not having a saltwater environment nearby. I'm hoping someday to have a saltwtaer tank, but I'm kind of used to big ...so I need to plan. When I built our pond in 2001, I just rented a backhoe and dug as far and as deep as I could reach. Turned out to be 10,000 gallons when finished.

Thanks for letting me post, hope to do more in the future.

I am one of the Web Administrators at the Austin Pond Society, and that is how I found your group.

I am impressed by your website, it works really well and is laid out nicely. We are still working on ours, we went from a 100% html to a Joomla just this past January and are still working out all the modules.

Robard,

Welcome to ARC and thanks for the kind words. I have extensive knowledge of joomla and SMF. If you ever need any help just let me know.

To anyone who wants a pond...

Just broke ours down and have a pump and large water display we bought at Hill Country Pond on 183. Has a bulkhead already installed.

Anyone interested e-mail me and we can talk trade.

We went from a pond to a disapearing fountain to fill in hole in ground.

You are one of our top 20 referrers this month. Thank-you. I am also in charge of the Pond Tour this year and extend an invitation for you to attend on July 14th and 15th. Of course, you'll have to <snip>

having a saltwater environment nearby. I'm hoping someday to have a saltwtaer tank, but I'm kind of used to big ...so I need to plan. When I built our pond in 2001, I just rented a backhoe and dug as far and as deep as I could reach. Turned out to be 10,000 gallons when finished.

Welcome to ARC! And thanks for the reminder about the tour. I have gone to pond tours in Michigan before and loved it. I think my wife and I will be a touring this year with you guys.

As for the future saltwater tank .... there are many people on this site that have large tanks, so I am sure they can help you out :)

To anyone who wants a pond...

Just broke ours down and have a pump and large water display we bought at Hill Country Pond on 183. Has a bulkhead already installed.

Anyone interested e-mail me and we can talk trade.

We went from a pond to a disapearing fountain to fill in hole in ground.

Now how did you accomplish that? My wife wants our current pond AND some disappearing fountains around the yard :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Bump .. the pond tour is happening this weekend (yes, I should have done this this morning!).

We went to 8-10 ponds today .. very nice! I will post some pictures of the tour after tomorrow's journeys.

Lots of great ideas to improve on our little pond.

(Here is a link about the tour again.)

Edited by seahorsejl