catching the evil fish

Stacy

You could try a home made fish trap. Psuedo's are nosy enough to maybe go in it.

Take a small plastic soda bottle. Cut off the top, then invert it back into the bottle like a funnel. Put some rocks and food in it and place it in the tank. And wait to see if it goes in it.

I just did this yesterday with a blue damsel. I had to move rock around, use two nets and four hands. It took about 15 minutes of chasing it around but we got it out. Should have taken a video. My wife was dying laughing at us trying to chase it around the tank.

Another method, albeit not one everybody can utilize, is to get a large container and strong pump and pump out the majority of water. This drastically reduces the available swimming room. Scoop it out, and then pump all the water back in. With a strong enough pump you could do this over the course of 5mins.

But really, isn't it more fun to chase the fish around the tank and/or dismantle your aquascaping! ;)

Can you borrrow somones anglerfish? That would be cool!

I've had this idea of buying a plastic net and laying it across the bottom of the tank on top of the sand. Leave it for a day or more so the fish get used to it and will come back out. The idea would be to feed the fish and slowly pull the net trapping the fish. It seems like with a properly placed net that no fish could escape. I would pull up the back first and then the sides, and then start pulling up the front. Anyways I have no idea if it would work or not, sounds like a good idea though.

I have an excellent holey rock that the pseudochromis will hide in. Pick it up, fish and all and transfer it to a new tank. free to borrow.

That's how I got mine out. Now the DAMNsels were another story.

good idea as trying to catch a pseudo, they'll just hide in the rock and you are hosed unless you see the rock they went into AND you are ok destroying your aqua-scaping to get the rock (and fish) out!

Hmm...that's a thought too. I have lots of limestone holey rock that I could wash and use as a temporary thing...maybe between that and the coke bottle trap I can catch him today. If that doesn't work, Mark, I'll go ahead and borrow your fish trap and try that. I'll definitely feel the same way when he's gone! Funny thing is- it's my 6 line that I'm trying to save instead of the one I want gone. Not sure why the pseudo has decided to be buddies with my mini-clown though. I was worried about him until i saw them hanging out just now. Weird...

He's out! He's out! He's out!! Yippee!! Boyfriend actually had a genius idea watching then tnt. Nabbed him when he swam into the powerhead that's been in but not on and got him out! He's now waiting in the nano all alone for his punishment...;) Thanks for all the ideas today. Stephen, I agree that your net idea could be kinda fun, lol!