Nitrate

aeroaustin

Hi,

got back in town. I tested the water and I had detect the nitrate, the nitrate approx is 5 ppm that is safe or too high? need water exchange? PO4 is 0

Nitrate caused by air pump in the sump? ( i have problem with PH)

which is more concern Nitite or Nitrate?

THanks

Seeing measurable nitrite in an established tank is a concern. But nitrate is OK, in low levels (5 ppm is low :D ). Nitrate's will build in the tank naturally and are normally removed by doing your regular water changes. You can also remove nitrates via macro algae and refugiums.

Edited by seahorsejl

Seeing measurable nitrite in an established tank is a concern. But nitrate is OK, in low levels (5 ppm is low :D ). Nitrate's will build in the tank naturally and are normally removed by doing your regular water changes. You can also remove nitrates via macro algae and refugiums.

Thanks...

Tomorrow I will go to RCA to buy Chateo and Copepods for my refugium, I already set up new 30 long sump with refuge and I haven't get Chateo yet that why been running refuge without chateo for a week,

Also check horizon. They have a tank with tons of different macro. We have gotten several different types from steve. The aquadome(down south) has a tank with some cheato up stairs. Ezra, works the saltwater and he is super nice. I wish I could give you some, but right now it doesn't seem to be growing that fast. Silly macro...some times I just don't know. BTW 5ppm is lower then most people run. I wish our tanks would stay at 5ppm.

Has far as the PH goes. I wouldn't be to worried unless it is super high 9ish or super low 7ish. If you start running the fuge and tank on opposite photo periods it should help. When ever we make big changes or set-up a new tank the PH is low. It seems to work itself out. You might want to test your alkalinity because it acts as a buffer for your PH. RCA sold us a PH/ALK buffer that works pretty well. Just make sure you are testing PH at close to the same time of day because it can swing with your light cycle.

James,

Don't worry about it. give me a good reason to come up north and check it ou RCA and Horizon, I think about get a lawnmower Bleeny and some nasairus snails and check it out.

Tomorrow I will redo the plumbing, I will drill a hole for overflow box (hob) to hole for feeding into refuge and leave the drain 1" alone to drain than complicate with many pipes.

I will pose the picture that I have several corals happns to appear to grow. I don't know what is to ID the corals. I bought the live rocks from MASST.