Surface slick

nvandewa

+1 skimmer.

However there are arguements on whether to skim or not to skim. I have a skimmer on my acro dominate tank but not on my seahorse tank. I do weekly water changes on my sea horse tank and bi-weekly on my acro tank. My acros require more light an cleaner water therfore skimming is necessary (IMHO). Since I only have a few mushrooms in my seahorse tank I don't skim (probably should but the inhabitants have been quite happy).

I think skimming is dependent upon what you plan on keeping in your tank.

I would do a google search on saltwater tank skimming to get an idea of the pros and cons of skimming.

Dave-

If you have a overflow it should be removing that "slick". Even if you have an overflow and protein skimmer the currents in you're tank can create areas that don't let the scum get broken up and sucked into the overflow. If you're filtering system doesn't incorporate an overflow with surface skimming (I've seen overflows with anti air sucking devices that keep the water level the same as in the tank reducing it's ability to surface skim) I would go with Medi's option first.

As far as the argument over protein skimming Vol 3 of Nilsen & Fossa's "The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium" showcases 2 reef systems that haven't had water changes for years and at the time of printing weren't using protein skimming, one interestingly used an undergravel filter and one was an acro dominated tank. Also Paletta's "30 Dream Aquariums" showcases 8 systems without protein skimming. Personally I think most of the aquacultured & maricultured corals we have in our tanks don't need protien skimmers to do well. Obviously heavy fish loads or feeding regimens may require protien skimming to help maintain water quality. Considering also we are potentially keeping THOUSANDS of different species and varieties I would in the future expect protein skimming may prove to be critical in the successful maintenance and propagation of some.