Help! - Did i just use the wrong silicone in my sump?

Mad Reefer

I was tricked by the 100% silicone on the label. I just used this to install a plexiglass divider in my sump. I need to know if i have to rip it out before it dries. I was reading about the drying time when i read on the back

"Not for use below the water line, where FDA compliance is necessary, or aquariums"doh.gif

http://www.caulkyourhome.com/ge-silicone-II-window-and-door.php

please tell me this stuff is OK to use.

Edited by Mad Reefer

I was tricked by the 100% silicone on the label. I just used this to install a plexiglass divider in my sump. I need to know if i have to rip it out before it dries. I was reading about the drying time when i read on the back

"Not for use below the water line, where FDA compliance is necessary, or aquariums"doh.gif

http://www.caulkyour...ow-and-door.php

please tell me this stuff is OK to use.

I've been using it with no problems at all, based on a local aquaria store's recommendation.

I've also read mixed opinions on other forums; however, I can't find a single anecdote or real evidence that it causes any harm.

Edited by nemirn

Yup, you're ok as long as it's the regular and not the one with mildewcide in it.

I've read that the reason they put that warning on there is in case someone builds an aquarium with it and it fails then GE can't be sued( of course we all know that warning won't prevent a lawsuit) AND so they can charge more for the exact same thing in a tube labeled "aquarium glue".

Whew!

thanks for the response.

That helps me breath a bit easier. I also found this link

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/need-suggestions-123901.html#post1055119

I guess I'll let it cure over night instead of just 3 hours to make sure all the methanol and ammonia have evaporated. then I'll cut it loose

Just for clarification, this stuff is stock number GE500

wow.

can i run for a week with just the powerheads and no sump?

I added one divider in my sump. I was doing a water change anyway so i just dried out the sump completely and added the divider. not sure how long i should run without the sump/filter/skimmer etc.

but i guess its better to be safe than sorry. maybe i'll wait the week.

hi nemirn,

can you please confirm you were using the GE II and NOT the GE 1?

Thanks ,

-Madness

Silicone II Clear (GE 500).

I think this is the same stuff they use to mod tanks at Fishy Business.

You could call Shane there to verify.

Ha,

Thanks for the clarification.

Thats kinda funny. Its a Fishy Business sump that I am modifying.... I decided to put it back into use after 24 hours. package says

tack free 30 min

water exposure in as little as 3 hours @ 65F with 50%humidity otherwise wait 8 hours

Full cure 24 hours

package also says not for use below waterline. Presumably, thats to avoid any lawsuits related tot he strength of the product.

I will report back my findings.

Thanks again,

- Madness

BTW: nemirn, you PM mailbox appears to be full.

Last I heard, the GE silicone that doesn't have the mold inhibitor ingredients in them are labeled to the effect of not being aquarium safe for a couple of reasons.

-They sell silicone products to AGA Perfecto and other aquarium brands and therefore cannot compete with them

-Some silicone types are adhesive type, and some are sealant type silicone.

I believe GE I and II products are the sealant type silicone. This shouldn't be a problem for you though seeing as how acrylic doesn't really adhere to silicone well anyways.

The silicone ends up becoming a pocket for the acrylic to be permanently fixed in place. Although this is not because of adhesion.

Edited by Michael Rodriguez