Help with snowflake eel

We just got a snow flake eel. When we woke up this morning and he was in the sump. How do we keep him in the display at night? The drain for the tank is a 2" durso in an internal over flow box. I just don't want the eel to get injured. The other fish seem to understand what to do. Does anyone have a suggestion?

thanks

james

Other than placing some type of screening over the intake, not sure what else can be done.

If this eel is in your spiffy new open-top tank, you have bigger issues ... eels are notorious at trying to escape. I had a snowflake many many moons ago. I grew him from a scraggly worm-looking eel to a nice 1" diameter. One night he decided to slip out a hole in the back cover and venture across the dining room floor. Found him dried up halfway across the floor the next morning :D

Good luck!

Man that is what I was afraid of. I guess I will be working on a improving the top tonight. It has egg crate, but I guess I will add some window screen. We did buy him from an open top tank. Your story is sad. Why can't fish figure out they need to stay in the water? LOL

The window screening over the egg crate is a good idea!

I suspect they try "escaping" at night to look for food.

Not to dishearten you, as I think snowflakes are at the bottom of the escapee list. When I worked at a pet store, the ribbon eels were the worst! Once he gets settled into the system and finds his cave, he should be content.

I was eventually able to ween my eel off of live foods to frozen krill (would use a wooden skewer to feed the krill to him)...

I was hoping he was just nervous. He actually is already eating frozen krill(major selling point). He was eating out of the LFS workers hand, but a skewer is a great idea and a reason to Bar-B-Q.Think I will stop on the way home and pick some up!

thank you

James