Tunze

Truck0000

I need help figuring out what tunze stream pump I need. I want to take out my 2 seios and add a tunze to my system to cut down in the electric bill some more. Im trying to make my system,s electric use small as possible. Which Tunze do you guys recommend for a 75 softie tank?

BUy each one, then you know you will be happy...... LOL.... Just jokeing.

I would get one that is controlable for sure. That way you have more options than just plugging it in. Say the TUNZE 6200. Clint what stream do you have that is controlable?

Rob

Buying a Tunze after purchasing a Seio to save money on the electric bill is not a good idea. I did the math for you and you would have to run one Seio 53,333 hours to make up the difference in the charge for Tunze. That is you could run the Seio for 6 years to make up the same cost as one Tunze power head (calculated on the power difference). I would look at other reasons to swap out and not because of the power cost at this point since you already own the Seio. If there are no other reasons I wouldnt replace the Seio's

John

Would a Seio even last 6 years? Are they controlable? What about heat issues as well? Nothing in this hobby is cheap. If you go cheap the first time you spend that much more money in the long run to make it right.

I would personally go with the 6000 so you can controll it and still have good flow if you decide to upgrade tanks in the future. Just my .02 cents

Clint

Rob - What Clint said is right. Like I said earlier, dont swap out because of cost saving but you might do it for other reasons. Remember 70 or 80 watts of power isnt that much. Its actually less than 1 cent an hour. But the heat output is what I would worry about. My Reef was getting up to 84 degrees. Bleaching ocurrs at 86. Chiller, Chiller, Chiller. By the way, I dont like my new chiller (1/3 HP Prime Tower Inline Chiller (RCU02646)

Section: Current USA Chillers/Coolers

Price: $585 ($585.00 x 1). It turns off and on too often in my opinion. It could be because it might be too powerful for my 135G tank. It does cool the water down very quickly (within one minute) and turns off.

John

Well the idea was that I could replace my 2 SEIO,s with one Tunze. I plan on upgrading to a 125-150 gal. but not till late next year. It was more a feel good thing about my electric bill than actual savings. Just bought a new house out towards bastrop (cedar creek).

On another note I am having toruble with my KH test kit cant really figure it out. Seems simple but cant ever get the color to turn. I need some new test kits anyways so what do you all recommend?

My tempeture is swinging between 78.5 a night to 83 during the day. I dont run a heater. Is this to big of temp swing for softies?

I would use Salifert kh test kit. They seem fairly priced and are usually real accurate. Or you can use the Tetra kh testt kits.. Most LFS carry this and is relatively cheap say like 10$.

Hope this helps.

That temp shift is alarming. I try to keep the swing day to day below three degrees. As others have said, install some fans blowing across the tank and the increased evaporation should help with the cooling.

John

• 2 weeks later...

In the new Coral mag on the back cover Rio shows that they have come out with a controller for the Seios. I had Michael at AA check on availability and as of right now they are not available. I hate it when a company teases you with a new product, but only to find it is a pic of the prototype.

James