Got Phosphate issues

mcallahan

I am in a constant fight with algae. I originally had an API test kit that I tested phosphates on. I could never read the colors well enough to figure out if I had .25 or .5 but definitely had some. I've always had a very brown sand bed, I siphon it every other week when I do my water changes. About 15g on a 92g tank, and within a few days the algae comes roaring back over the sandbed. I thought flow was the issue and having dead spots, so I upgraded by powerheads to the point I have sand blowing around but still get lots of algae growth. So also just before buying powerheads I invested in a Hanna Checker, I figured surely it would show my phosphate levels reliably. Each and every time I test with the checker it shows 0.0 phosphates. So it's an absolute mystery. Also since I bought the tank, May of 09, I have used a BRS GFO reactor, and change the GFO monthly. I seem to be destined to have a brown "hairy" substrate no matter what I do. Also I only use 0 TDS water from a RODI unit I purchased. Another issue I thought it may have been was a subpar skimmer, it was an ATI BM skimmer but the cup was cracked so didn't know if that was affecting it's performance. So about 6 weeks ago upgraded to an ATB 840. So not a perfect candidate for what you are looking for since you want someone registering high on the phosphates, but man am I frustrated. Anyway, good luck! I've watched several of your videos recently since discovering them. Very informative and fun to watch too.

Edited by lotusstar

lotusstar...thanks for the nod on the videos.

Keep in mind that your phosphates are likely 0 because the brown algae you are talking about is eating all the phosphates up. 0 phosphates with algae in the tank is a common experience for people.

That being said, I'll PM you phone number and we can get together. I'd love to help you with your issues.

What do usually see as a result of high phosphate? I have an API kit that registers 0 but fight cyano, diatoms, and some alage. I switch to a bigger tank in May/June last year so the tank is still pretty new.

I finally got a hold of a high sensitivity phosphate test... mine were at .06... that is after a TLC SAT treatment... just got a phosban reactor... i hope it gets me back done and helps color up some sps and gets rid of cyano and algae i have.

I finally got a hold of a high sensitivity phosphate test... mine were at .06... that is after a TLC SAT treatment... just got a phosban reactor... i hope it gets me back done and helps color up some sps and gets rid of cyano and algae i have.

I'll be curious to see if you get any results from the SAT. I tried that stuff and saw nothing from it except an empty bottle.

I wish i had the kit to measure before and after... this is my second weekly dosing of it... i am hoping phosban does the trick... if so, i have half a bottle if you want to try and measure it.

I wish i had the kit to measure before and after... this is my second weekly dosing of it... i am hoping phosban does the trick... if so, i have half a bottle if you want to try and measure it.

The phosban will do the trick.

My tank runs @ 0 phosphates (PPB) so if I added the TLC and that number went up, that'd be really bad.

I have readable phosphate levels on my growout tanks outside. I had neglected this system last winter when water heating cost hit $300 a month. I have now selected cool water tolerant species of red macos we will see what a natural phosphate removal system does. I do have phosban but don't intend to use it. Hopefully when it is time to prune the seaweed I can eat it.

Mark, I will be going to the Next Wave Conference in Dallas next month. Gerald Heslinga of Indo Pacific Sea Farms will be speaking on sustainable mariculture of eadiable seaweeds. He asked me to send him pictures of my growout system, as meager as it is.