clown fight - help!

dapettit

Have had several clown deaths over the last couple of weeks with one survivor. Introduced new clown to tank today and boy it was the "The Thrilla in Manila!" Finally isolated the old clown in a breeder tank. Will this help? All other fish, six line waarse, royal gramma seem to get along with the new fish.

Have had several clown deaths over the last couple of weeks with one survivor. Introduced new clown to tank today and boy it was the "The Thrilla in Manila!" Finally isolated the old clown in a breeder tank. Will this help? All other fish, six line waarse, royal gramma seem to get along with the new fish.

What kind of clownfish do you have? It is best if you introduce a large and small fish........large one will tend to become the female (the boss) and the subordinate becomes the male. Do they have and anemone?.......once the hierarchy is settle, you will definitely enjoy their personalities and how they communicate with each other.

They are both Ocellaris Clown and are about the same size. No anemone. Should I still keep them separated or let them fight it out? The fighting was relentless last night before I separated them. . .

I found that taking an aggressive fish out of the tank for a day and then reintroducing it seems to help. I have also heard if you rearrange the rock some while they are out they think it is new territory and aren't as possesive. HTH

They are both Ocellaris Clown and are about the same size. No anemone. Should I still keep them separated or let them fight it out? The fighting was relentless last night before I separated them. . .

In my experience with true perculas, maroon, and pink clownfish........it is best to have significant size between the two fish. Otherwise you will have a dead fish....whoever is the most dominant will win. Is there anyway you could exchange either one for different size?

Good Luck with the situation.

Hey sorry to butt into your thread, but I am having the exact same problem wit my 2 perculas. I have had one for about 6 months and he is only about 1in long. The new one is about 1cm bigger than him and they keep fighting. The old clown is in his BTA and the new one is trying to get into it too but the old clown wont let him. Im worried that they will hurt themselves!

Advice needed!

-texx

ps-dapettit I dont mean to hijack your thread! Sry!

Edited by irishtexan

Hey sorry to butt into your thread, but I am having the exact same problem wit my 2 perculas. I have had one for about 6 months and he is only about 1in long. The new one is about 1cm bigger than him and they keep fighting. The old clown is in his BTA and the new one is trying to get into it too but the old clown wont let him. Im worried that they will hurt themselves!

Advice needed!

-texx

ps-dapettit I dont mean to hijack your thread! Sry!

What I would do is just keep an eye on their behavior, eventually the larger will become the female, take over the anemone and will later allow the male to join in. Have you seen any physical damage on either fish? If not, let it be.....they will settle in. If you see some damage on either one.....I would separate IMO.

Good Luck, and let me know how it turns out :D

Thanks! No there isnt any physical injuries or anything. Its just that when I put him/her in the tank last night the old clown was chasing the new clown around and nipping. But no injuries. So you think that they will eventually become a couple? They are getting alot closer now and they new clown is almost in the anemone.

-Andrew

In my experience, when I put two juvenile clowns, of the same size, in a tank. It takes about a week of bickering for them to figure out who is boss. The may nip at each other’s fins damaging the clear part, but it will heal very quickly given adequate conditions.

Ok thanks! The new clown is about a centimeter bigger than the old clown so I guess the new clown will become the boss?

Irishtexan - No worries, glad I'm not the only one.

FYI,

I kept the 2 clowns separated for 24 hours. Reintoduced the older clown. We had about 45 minutes of fighting. The older clown seemed to be saying i'm in charge. This morning they were sleeping side by side!

Thanks for all help. . . .

Irishtexan - No worries, glad I'm not the only one.

FYI,

I kept the 2 clowns separated for 24 hours. Reintoduced the older clown. We had about 45 minutes of fighting. The older clown seemed to be saying i'm in charge. This morning they were sleeping side by side!

Thanks for all help. . . .

That's wonderful......happy to hear they settled in. Enjoy :D

ok, it's been a week now since the "thrila in manila". Separating the orginal "fake" clown for 24 hrs at first seemed to help. today the second "fake" clown is looking rather stressed. called local lfs and they suggested I separate them again (for a week). They also think I may have gotten a true percula when we purchased the original pair.

I will let you know my results next week. . . . .

Heres hoping! ^_^