Advice on Skimmers

dc5842

I'm trying to start my first large tank in the next few months and I've finally saved enough to purchase the skimmer. With so many options available and so many different brand names I'm hoping I can get some quick advice from some people who have been in the hobby a while and can point me in the right direction and help keep me from wasting precious dollars. I have a 120 gallon tank with about a 30 gallon DIY sump I bought used. Each compartment of the sump is holding water and I should be able to have a refugium section for it as well. I don't plan on getting into any SPS but probably some LPS and other soft corals first before I try anything too difficult. Any advice you can offer on what to purchase would be a huge help. If you need any more information on my setup let me know.

If you're willing to go the diy route then you might check out Avast Marines new diy cone skimmer. I've read a lot of great reviews about it and it's supposed to be relatively simple to put together. Also, the price is awesome. If you want to go pre built you might consider checking out the SWC skimmers. I have the Xtreme Mini Cone S on my 100g and I absolutely love it. Their quality and customer service are both excellent too.

My price range is $300 to $350 at this point. I could always save more if it's worth it to spend that much more. That's where my lack of experience doesn't help me out. As far as DIY stuff goes, I'm pretty handy but don't have any experience with acrylic. Happy to try though if it saves me some cash I could spend somewhere else. Thanks for the great advice?

ide check the for sale hardware and grab a vertex if you can or a tunze or something like that for sale for 1/2 the price witch is in your price range.. you mite talk to mcallahan (mark) ans see what his prices are on the tunze skimmers for that tank size. i went tunze on my nano and just the quality of the skimmer alone and the skimate that little skimmer pulls is amazing. i dont know that id go any other rout. ive had a few diff tanks and skimmers and by far the tunze i have now pulls more and works better than ive had in the past on any tank. if i had a 90 or above id go tunze 9206, but that depends on the footprint you need.