Wish list

jestep

I've been saving up for a decent upgrade and can't figure out which one to get.

I've really been wanting a Vortech but the cost is pretty ridiculous when I can buy a reef keeper and 2 decent hydors or other pumps for the same cost. I also don't have an RO/DI, but my tank is fairly small so it's not a huge deal buying water every week. I did buy a tunze osmolator right away which I can say is an absolute lifesaver. If I was going to setup a new tank, I would buy this before the tank even...

Is the vortech really worth the cost. I am getting more into SPS, and it is really hard to get not directional flow with normal pumps but $300 is crazy for a single pump. My other thought was a reefkeeper and 2 hydors or modded MJ 1200's. I can control my lighting and heater with this as well which is really cool. Anyway, what would you upgrade?

I've been saving up for a decent upgrade and can't figure out which one to get.

I've really been wanting a Vortech but the cost is pretty ridiculous when I can buy a reef keeper and 2 decent hydors or other pumps for the same cost. I also don't have an RO/DI, but my tank is fairly small so it's not a huge deal buying water every week. I did buy a tunze osmolator right away which I can say is an absolute lifesaver. If I was going to setup a new tank, I would buy this before the tank even...

Is the vortech really worth the cost. I am getting more into SPS, and it is really hard to get not directional flow with normal pumps but $300 is crazy for a single pump. My other thought was a reefkeeper and 2 hydors or modded MJ 1200's. I can control my lighting and heater with this as well which is really cool. Anyway, what would you upgrade?

If you are going to spend $200 on an ATO when you could get an ATO for $50, then it's hard to argue that spending $300 for a Vortec is "insane".

I've been on the vortec hater side of things for a long time. Now that I gotten my hands on one, I won't go back to not having one. I love the small footprint, the lack of cords in my tank, the many, many modes it has, how I can control it from Apex and how wide the flow is. Is buying one an investment? YES. And with software upgrades that are sure to come down the line and backwards compatibility of the EcoSmart, You can buy one today and have it for a long time.

At the most basic level you are only getting 1 pump for the cost with the vortec. However, when you look at everything it can do, it is clearly in a different universe than a modded MJ (which are ubber ugly, BTW). Comparing the vortec to the MJ's or hydros is like comparing a BMW to a Hyundai - its not an apples to apples comparison.

My vote is for the vortec. You are welcome to come check out mine if you want to see them up close and personal

I received a Vortech MP60 for my tank for Christmas. I now have both Tunzes and this big Vortech. Accolades aside, I really like this Vortech. The flow on it is very broad and generalized. It moves a ton of water but doesn't rip the SPS off the live rock. Like Will said, I want one and so should you. I'll tell you, I have one and think you should want one too! :)

Hope you all got some cool toys for your holiday celebration!

Mike

I've been leaning toward the vortech. I do agree with the tunze cost assessment. In defense I did get mine from a fellow reefer here for under $100, but after using it I would buy one for new in a heart beat.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I will probably go with the tunze and then possibly get a RO unit in the spring or summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my MP10 yesterday. This thing has some serious power. Was sucking a vortex of air at about 8" deep not even on full power, so I'm still playing with the settings and power level. Amazing that every coral had the best polyp extension I've ever seen in my tank about an hour after I first hooked it up.