Reef keeper lite.... sad sad story

Myvirtue

got my reek keeper lite from aquacave and hooked it up to my pc and updated it. and play with it for a few mins.. I noticed the outlet supply control block or whatever u call it started making noises so i turned it off. when i turned it on it kept blinking and then it shut off. now it doesnt work and im out of a reek keeper... 1 christmas present down...

they ill take care of u at Aquacave, Arnold (i believe) is the owner and a very nice guy. If u go to Reef Central there is a Digital Aquatics Forum there, u can ask if maybe it can be reprogrammed to work with ur head unit. There customer service (Digital Aquatics) is very fast on gettn things resolved. I have the RKL 3 and have had no problems and i havent updated it at all. Good luck and dont give up on it, u ill enjoy the reef keeper.

yah im gonna call aquacave tomorrow... just stinks,, got my new tank up and ready for it. Im sure it will be taken care of but being patient is something i lack. Probly be 2 weeks or more to get a working one... I'll probly have to send this back... wait for it to get there so they can send me another....

i probly shouldnt of updated it either... but i read that the new 2.0 firmware was awesome, but!.......... people were having problems with the temp jumping everywhere and not staying accurate. I did notice the whole 5mins i had mine working my temp probe read over 100 degrees when its 70 degress in my house but im sure u can calibrate it.

I have the reefkeeper with net and I hate it. For me it is nothing more than a glorified timer that cost $1000 with all of the pieces that I have with it. My ph reading is all over the place, this only happended after the update. The ORP sensor never has worked properly...says my ORP is at 600 all of the time. Oh and the update...don't get me started. Every piece of that equipment has to be updated induvidually, PITA. And the net box had to be sent all the way back to digital aquatics to be updated by them. Also I have been trying to get it hooked up so I can see my inaccurate ph and ORP readings online and its been nearly impossible. I don't even have time to write down all of the problems that I have had with the unit trying to update it and get it online. To give you the short I've had it for 7 months and I still haven't been able to get it online, and I ususally work a couple hours a week troubleshooting problems and figuring out what I have to order next to make it work. When you fix one problem it just creates another. So far I use it for a timer and temperature. HATE IT

I have the reefkeeper with net and I hate it. For me it is nothing more than a glorified timer that cost $1000 with all of the pieces that I have with it. My ph reading is all over the place, this only happended after the update. The ORP sensor never has worked properly...says my ORP is at 600 all of the time. Oh and the update...don't get me started. Every piece of that equipment has to be updated induvidually, PITA. And the net box had to be sent all the way back to digital aquatics to be updated by them. Also I have been trying to get it hooked up so I can see my inaccurate ph and ORP readings online and its been nearly impossible. I don't even have time to write down all of the problems that I have had with the unit trying to update it and get it online. To give you the short I've had it for 7 months and I still haven't been able to get it online, and I ususally work a couple hours a week troubleshooting problems and figuring out what I have to order next to make it work. When you fix one problem it just creates another. So far I use it for a timer and temperature. HATE IT

LMK when you want to trade it in!

"We can get you into an '11 model for the right price Mr. Keen..." laugh.gif

I'm in too deep at this point, can't justify anymore money on this. I'll give you one example of a problem, it is the problem that I'm currently having. I paid to have a simple dial up line connected to the computer that is dedicated to the tank. I've been paying for it for about 6 months while I tried to figure out how to make this happen. After finally getting everything updated I find out that it will not work with dial up. We use wireless cards for the business and we are at our 5 computer limit without the computer for the tank. So now it looks like I have to get a wireless card for $50 a month just for the computer for the tank. I didn't want to use a wirelss card b/c when it loses its internet connection it will send me a warning text saying the unit lost connection to the tank...dial up seemed more reliable but not an option. Plus I don't want to pay $50 a month. No other internet options are avaible where we are at.

Oh and there are hardly any directions for anything, you must call or go to the forums. And if you complain on the forum they delete your complaints and lock the thread. Also when you buy pieces of equipment they do not come with the patch cord, you must buy that separately and its $20 even though it cost .05 to make. Not only do they not supply the patch cord, there is no mention anywhere that an additional cord is needed, you get to find out when you are trying to install it. So you pay $200 for 2 power strips with shipping only to find out that you must buy 2 more cables for $40 and then wait to get those. HATE IT

yah im just gonna use mine for a backup heater, light timer, and maybe a wave maker if it works. and standby mode for feeding... I was trying to simplify my tank before i head to jrotc and also iraq... guess im not doing a very good job

it will probably work ok for those things, I have never had any problem with the timed outlets. Most of my problems are with the net, their support, and the lack of intructions. I have 2 sensors for the sump water level and I have no idea how to hook them up. They didn't send ANY instructions, I have had them for months. They don't even come with plugs attached, just loose wires. There are no connections anywhere for loose wires, I'm sure I will have to buy something else. I can only take one problem at a time with this thing.

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems. Mine has worked like a champ. I had one problem when I updated to the 2.0 firmware (lost the power strips). I emailed the company to get a file I needed to resolve the problem and had it in a couple hours. Also didn't have any problems connecting up my net module (connects wirelessly to my home network). So I can monitor the system from my phone and turn on/off anything as well. The only piece you need to send in to DA before you can perform the upgrade is the SID - System Interface Device. Keep in mind that the 2.0 firmware is still in Beta....for like 6months now. I really want to try out one of the ALC - Advanced Light Controllers. BTW - If you have not been receiving the patch cables with your orders then I would complain. They have come with everything I have ordered so far. The base kit even came with a bunch of extra ones.

The only piece you need to send in to DA before you can perform the upgrade is the SID - System Interface Device.

I can't believe that part. Hydro told me the same thing. Don't they know that the internet allows for downloads of software?!

I know I know but apparently the upgrade is very involved....so they require you to send in to them. Cost me like 3 bucks round trip.

It's not the cost. Its the fact you have to do it that way. Certainly they could round up some unemployed developer types to make it some what easy to do.

I'm sure Neptunes have bad units too

I am a big Neptune fan and user. That being said, it has not been an entirely smooth road with this highly regarded controller for me. I added an HD4 recently and had to send it to Neptune not once, but twice to get address conflicts or hardware issues resolved. Don't get me wrong, they were gracious and helpful, but I purchased a brand new HD4 unit and had to pay shipping and insurance on it TWICE to get a new piece of equipment to integrate with my head unit and system.

Addition of a second EB8 was flawless, easy, and without event and same with a second pH probe, but bottom line is Neptune has hiccups along the way also. I wouldn't switch brands, but nonetheless, they are not without an occasional issue.

I added this not to bad mouth Neptune, but to temper some the the Neptune cheerleading that might go on int the face of the disappointment with Digital Aquatics. I am happy with my APex controller, but it has caused me some stress along the way as I have worked to expand the hardware and learn intermediate and advanced programming of the unit.

Mike

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems. Mine has worked like a champ. I had one problem when I updated to the 2.0 firmware (lost the power strips). I emailed the company to get a file I needed to resolve the problem and had it in a couple hours. Also didn't have any problems connecting up my net module (connects wirelessly to my home network). So I can monitor the system from my phone and turn on/off anything as well. The only piece you need to send in to DA before you can perform the upgrade is the SID - System Interface Device. Keep in mind that the 2.0 firmware is still in Beta....for like 6months now. I really want to try out one of the ALC - Advanced Light Controllers. BTW - If you have not been receiving the patch cables with your orders then I would complain. They have come with everything I have ordered so far. The base kit even came with a bunch of extra ones.

I would love to have my computer guy talk with you for few minutes about how to make it work. Getting this stuff to work for me is over my head, I can use computers but can't work on them. I have a part time employee that pretty sharp that works on the system everytime he comes in, he would be better at explaining our problem. You are right it was the SID that we sent in for the update. I did complain about the cables to DA, they agreed that they should be in the boxes with the powerstrips but didn't knoe for sure if they were are not. They didn't offer to send me any. This is my list of unresoleved issues

1. Hooking up to the net to view from my iphone
  2. Fixing ORP probe
  3. Fixing PH probe which I think is software related b/c it happended shortly after update
  4. Install high water and low water sensors for the sump

I'm sure Neptunes have bad units too

I am a big Neptune fan and user. That being said, it has not been an entirely smooth road with this highly regarded controller for me. I added an HD4 recently and had to send it to Neptune not once, but twice to get address conflicts or hardware issues resolved. Don't get me wrong, they were gracious and helpful, but I purchased a brand new HD4 unit and had to pay shipping and insurance on it TWICE to get a new piece of equipment to integrate with my head unit and system.

Addition of a second EB8 was flawless, easy, and without event and same with a second pH probe, but bottom line is Neptune has hiccups along the way also. I wouldn't switch brands, but nonetheless, they are not without an occasional issue.

I added this not to bad mouth Neptune, but to temper some the the Neptune cheerleading that might go on int the face of the disappointment with Digital Aquatics. I am happy with my APex controller, but it has caused me some stress along the way as I have worked to expand the hardware and learn intermediate and advanced programming of the unit.

Mike

Mikey...I agree that any product can and WILL have issues. Neptune, Profilux, Digital Aquatics, Ferrari, Mercedez Benz, Chevy, etc. You name it, something will go wrong at some point.

That being said post #1 echoed the long line of feedback I've heard about DA's products which is why I avoid them like Xenia and mushrooms.

I would love to have my computer guy talk with you for few minutes about how to make it work. Getting this stuff to work for me is over my head, I can use computers but can't work on them. I have a part time employee that pretty sharp that works on the system everytime he comes in, he would be better at explaining our problem. You are right it was the SID that we sent in for the update. I did complain about the cables to DA, they agreed that they should be in the boxes with the powerstrips but didn't knoe for sure if they were are not. They didn't offer to send me any. This is my list of unresoleved issues

1. Hooking up to the net to view from my iphone
  2. Fixing ORP probe
  3. Fixing PH probe which I think is software related b/c it happended shortly after update
  4. Install high water and low water sensors for the sump

I had a similar problem with my PH probe after the upgrade and DA replaced mine under warranty. I also have high/low water sensors for my ATO wired into my SL1, which works great. I don't have an ORP proble though I have the port for one, so I can't be of much help there. I think the most complicated part with the net module was getting access to the data from outside my home network. Took me a few hours to get all the different pieces in place, but has worked flawlessly since then. I'm happy to answer questions if I can.