Setting up my new 58 g Reef Ready Oceanic tank

MadGriff

Okay guys, so I made the leap from nano tanks to a full size tank. I picked it up this weekend, filled it up with RO water from aquatech and mixed in my oceanic salt. I let it run for the afternoon and then added my live rock (approx 80 lbs). Right now Im just running the pumps, skimmer, heater and powerhead. I plan to let it run as is for about 3 weeks before I add any fish or corals. Since this is my first "large" tank, I thought I might see if anyone had any advice for cycling. Ive considered adding some live bacteria to help speed up the process. Any pointers or tips would be great!

Laura - what in your mind would fall under the category of "hearty" fish. I was thinking of starting with chromis damsels since they seem to be the least aggressive of the species. Id hate to put a clown in only to have it not make it

Yes...my first fish was a clown and I love them!! They are a good choice. I have had issues with some tangs (ich), mandarins (TOO soon!!), firefish. I am really not big on fish. I am a coral hoarder!! No SPS...they scream with me just thinking about it...acans, chalices, zoas and RBTA's are my mainstays now.

Laura - what in your mind would fall under the category of "hearty" fish. I was thinking of starting with chromis damsels since they seem to be the least aggressive of the species. Id hate to put a clown in only to have it not make it

My chromis have been some of my most aggressive fish, especially toward each other. A single chromis is probably fine, but multiples can definitely gang up on other fish. I'd vote for a clown of some sort.

I love my Chromis... they arent aggressive towards anyone or eachother.... I have 5 and they school together.. pretty fun to watch.... but every fish is different.... I vote for a clown they are hardy and dont have the aggressive reputation

For my sand bed Im using a small amount of crushed coral. Just enough to cover up the glass and hide some of the base rock. For filtration I have a 20g sump with a filter sock, and an older AquaC skimmer meant for a 75g tank.. For lighting I have a hamilton reefstar lighting system (250 watts) with a 14k bulb.Im going to have to add some sort of actinic and moonlight system into the canopy but as of right now Im not sure how to go about it. There isnt much room in the canopy and I do not want to put lights under the MH, I figure they need to be right next to it. What do you guys think about putting live rock in the sump? The guy I bought the tank from didnt recommended it, because he said the live rock would just get really dirty.

the Live Rock acts as part of the filtration growing things that are needed for the biological part.... I recommend an bigger skimmer at some point... from what people on here have told me its a good rule of thumb to go double the size of the tank on the skimmer size. also make sure that the canopy keeps the lights far enough off the water... before my husband added to ours I lost both my MH bulbs due to water splashing on them... very expensive lesson learned there... good luck there are lots of people on here far better at advice then me... this is just what I have learned so far