Good Nano Skimmer?

Meteorflower

Hi all, I am setting up a 30 gallon tank to keep a fuzzy dwarf lion, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good protein skimmer for a smaller tank... Initially I'm just going to do frequent water changes, but I would like to add a skimmer when I have the $ to make maintenance easier. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've heard nothing but good things about the 9002's performance, however you have to be sure it will fit in your AIO chamber and you have to be willing to spend for it.

I had been running on just water changes in my 24G, but the water didn't stay clean enough for SPS, so I ended up trying the much cheaper AquaticLife Mini Skimmer 115 after reading some positive reviews of it. I will add my own positive review, with a qualifier: It pulls out gunk just fine and is easy to adjust, just get the water level to the base of the cone with the pump on. With minor flucuations in water height even with an ATO the pull does vary somewhat, but it has definitely improved my tank and after only a couple of days made the water noticably clearer - enough so that the corals lost some color and needed to reacclimate to the light.

That all said, it doesn't pull the sludge skimmate you will get off a better skimmer. If you set it low enough, you won't get much of anything taken out, and the adjustment point that mine seems to like means 3-5 days before it fills the cup and sort of a dark tea color of skimmate. Still nasty stuff, still stuff I wanted out of my tank, but not the jet black gunk a better skimmer would pull out. I've had it since july and haven't successfully adjusted it to get a thicker skimmate yet.

does it have to be hang on back?

this skimmer has gotten alot of buzz on nano-reef http://www.marinedep...IPSHONW-vi.html

the aqualife is also good

The bubble magus nac3A is a good skimmer for that size if you go with a sump (and its a cone skimmer)

the reef octopus hang on back is a good one

i know that Hydor has just come out with thier slim slim skimmer which has also gotten some decent reviews on nano-reef.

Tunze is good as well (and they are in austin)

BTW this is "Will", im on Adams Computer

Edited by adamo

It's got to be either a hang off the back or an in-tank because the tank isn't plumbed. Will the Tunze work for that option?

tunze 9002 would be perfect for your tank! Mine is on a 30 gallon it pulls put some nasty crud.

• 3 weeks later...