Do I Need More Flow?

phamily

Hi Yall,

I am new to saltwater and started my AP 24 gallon about 5 months with softies, lps, mushrooms and zoas + fish(sixline, watchman, and bicolor blenny. After viewing all the members' gallery I started to admire those beautiful SPS. So about 2-3 weeks ago I started purchasing small SPS frags from Aquatek and river city.

Please advice me on what i need to add to my current setup and/or be cautious about to be successful with SPS in my nano tank.

Here is my current setup:

AP 24 gal with 150 MH, 30lbs LR + argonite substrate, sapphire skimmer, DYI refugium, stock pump, small in tank pump from my fission skimmer. I run a deskfan to cool my tank down-temp at 79-80.7 F. Evaropation is getting bad (add about .5-1 gal RO/day), currently looking into a DIY ATO (or should i just get a chiller).

post-215-1179171943_thumb.jpg

Looks nice. How many GPH do estimate is moving thru the tank? I would also keep the SPS at the top and under the light. I also would get an ATO system. It makes life so much easier! And if you are keeping it cool enough with fans a chiller is very expensive. HTH

Looks nice. How many GPH do estimate is moving thru the tank? I would also keep the SPS at the top and under the light. I also would get an ATO system. It makes life so much easier! And if you are keeping it cool enough with fans a chiller is very expensive. HTH

thanks for the advice. I probably have about 300 GPH moving in the tank...I'm thinking of getting a MJ 600 or a Koralia 1.

Yeah that is only about 12x turnover. SPS would like more than that. I think I would go with the Koralia over the Maxijet just because it has a wider stream which would help more in a small tank like that.

so what is the recommended turnover rate? I just order a koralia from Dr.foster....RiverCity are out the last few weeks thanks

i just install a new koralia 1 from dr.foster today, it wasn't as strong as a thought it would be. It is just right for my tank. everything is moving and lively. My feather duster didn't like it at the begining but it is adjust to the new added flow now...

• 1 month later...
I have 29 gallon tall do you use just the on Koralia 1?

No, I still have the stock return pump (MJ1200) in the back chamber2. I would highly recommend the koralia 1 (pretty cheap too) for your thank if you are looking to add more flow. I have no problem with the current koralia, running fine the last ~2 months.