Need to order new items for the new tank...but I can't

chrisfowler99

So I've got the new tank from the Tate's coming soon, so it's time to order more parts.

But I can't...our credit card number was stolen last week.

We have one credit card that we only use for online purchases. It allows us to monitor it monthly. It's a Capital One card, and they do a good job of monitoring "odd' purchases and having us confirm. At first it was kind of annoying when they'd call and have us verify some purchases. But, for the second time this year, they found some purchases that weren't ours.

So, for the second time this year we're being issued new cards. Which means that I cannot purchase anything online until the new cards arrive.

Even though I'm not in that much of a hurry, just knowing that I can't makes it bad. :)

Vent over...

Yeah...but that can be stolen the same as any other credit card.

I have no complaint about the protection I've been getting. I'm out no money because Capital One has done a great job of monitoring the transactions.

The only problem is that it happens at all...and the timing.

Do you travel and stay at hotels at all? Hotels have notoriously poor data security and are the source of a lot of credit card data theft.

I've had the same card re-issued twice in the past 1.5 years following business trips because of unapproved card activity. I only use this card for business travel, so my case tends to prove the theory.

I had my debit card number stolen a couple months ago. You think a credit card theft is bad...they charged $1400 and wiped out our checking account. We were broke for a week...bummed money for gas from friends...they got us the money back though. Someone in London used it for their mortgage and a car payment I think. The companies over there were less than helpful.

Now I have my 280g tank and I want to buy things and can't either. Why? NO MONEY LOL. So I've got two on ya! LOL.

I had my debit card number stolen a couple months ago. You think a credit card theft is bad...they charged $1400 and wiped out our checking account. We were broke for a week...bummed money for gas from friends...they got us the money back though. Someone in London used it for their mortgage and a car payment I think. The companies over there were less than helpful.

Now I have my 280g tank and I want to buy things and can't either. Why? NO MONEY LOL. So I've got two on ya! LOL.

I'm really careful with the debit card. Would suck to have that account drained.

Glad you got it back, though.

There is no good excuse for using a debit card to make a payment....EVER.

you lumping check card in there with that?

I would...and I'm guilty of it.

If someone gets a hold of that number they can drain your account (like Dena's) and there's no guarantee you'll get that money back.

I really should stop using it. I never use it online. But I readily hand it over to complete strangers to happen to bring me food and drinks in restaurants. Two seconds with a camera phone and they can have the number and the CVV2 code off the back.

I know it. I work in the industry...and I'm still too stupid to quit...too convenient.

I really need to get a "local" credit card and an "online" credit card...

One thing to absolutely make sure of is that you don't keep every penny in the account the debit/check card is attached to...or any account that overdraft will pull from.

One thing to absolutely make sure of is that you don't keep every penny in the account the debit/check card is attached to...or any account that overdraft will pull from.

Agreed! It took me several phone calls and two branch visits to get my 'checking' account seperated from my 'savings' account. I still check at least once a month as I've had to go back 3 or 4 times over the last 5 years to once again get the overdraft disabled.

There is no good excuse for using a debit card to make a payment....EVER.

you lumping check card in there with that?

Debit card, check card, whatever.....any card that draws from your personal funds.

You're protected from fraudulent charges with most credit cards.

We don't own a regular credit card so if we need to rent a room, buy something online or over the phone...it has to be the debit card. Maybe it's because it's a Visa Debit Card that we were covered. Not a plain Debit? My husband now gets notifications in a text when charges over a certain amount are made. When it's online charges he has it set to any amount. What sucks about this is if I want to go sneak off and buy something...I get a call before I even leave the register saying "what the H*** are you doing at Express?"

We don't own a regular credit card so if we need to rent a room, buy something online or over the phone...it has to be the debit card. Maybe it's because it's a Visa Debit Card that we were covered. Not a plain Debit? My husband now gets notifications in a text when charges over a certain amount are made. When it's online charges he has it set to any amount. What sucks about this is if I want to go sneak off and buy something...I get a call before I even leave the register saying "what the H*** are you doing at Express?"

Hey, if you don't have a credit card, I understand, you don't really have much of a choice but to use some kind of debit card.

However, getting a text message about fraudulent charges will just let you know you got ripped-off sooner. It doesn't protect your funds.

Interesting. I have a check card and twice it has been closed b/c of my bank picking up fradulent charges. Never did I see these charges appear on my account. I just tried to run my card one day and it always got declined. Of course my bank didn't call me to tell me that the card had been shut down... :mad:

Mike..I'm with you that cash is great but there are some things like renting a car that you can't do with cash.

Interesting. I have a check card and twice it has been closed b/c of my bank picking up fradulent charges.

Some charges are easy to catch and are stopped on the spot, like an international charge. Others, not so easy.

I've been able to rent cars with cash. I pay cash at the airport for tix. Pay cash for hotel rooms.

When and only if I must, I get a prepaid Visa card to make online transactions. Normally I plan for events and pay with bank checks in advance for what I need online. I don't mind waiting an extra 3-4 days to get my items knowing that I won't later be ripped off.