Big Skimmer?

chrisfowler99

No, Mike, I didn't say f'n huge, ridiculous, man-sized skimmer.

Gonna need a skimmer for the new (to me) 265 gallon tank that's coming.

I really like my SWC Xtreme Cone 160 skimmer that's running on my 75.

But to get the right sized SWC skimmer (SWC Xtreme Cone 250 1A) they seem to list for $749 and sell for $900-1000 (huh? :thumbsup:)

Um...any other good/cheaper options? Or is that what I'm faced with spending no matter what way I go...provided I don't find a great used deal.

Thinking in-sump at this point, but not married to the idea.

I scanned the RC classifieds for the longest time looking for a used skimmer deal. I don't recall too many SWCs that size, but there were definitely some.

If you go new, consider the Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 Internal Protein Skimmer for $559 (free shipping). I was going to buy a new SRO XP, but I found a great deal on a Deltec AP851. Someone here on ARC was selling a decently-priced Deltec AP851 (http://www.austinree...h__1#entry75823). Don't know if it's still available.

As for a new skimmer, if you can wait until Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving), you get the best deals of the year from almost all of the online vendors.

Hi,

Also look into the I-Tech 400 cone skimmer for that tank. These are rated by bioload instead of an arbitrary gallonage rating so you can give them a call and discuss what all you plan bio-wise for your setup.

Cheers,

Edited by bimmerzs