Who Custom Builds Tanks?

pickle311

So after taking a break from the hobby for the last 3 or 4 months I'm really starting to miss it. Although I'm loving my electricity bill right now. It's down to $120 from $400. :doh:

Some of you probably remember me, most probably dont. Anyway I'm wanting back in. I really miss the joy and relaxation that my tank brought to my home. My fish were like friends. I had a Dejarsini Sailfin that would swim up into my hand when I stuck it in the tank to clean or feed. So I have sat down and already started the design on a new tank. I will be going smaller, but I feel like it will look better. I'm thinking around 60 gallons, probably 30x30x17. My last tank was 24" deep and I loved the depth, I really think 30" will be killer. Also with the height only being 17" it will be much easier to light the tank as well as clean it. I will have it made with starphire glass on 3 sides for viewing and I want a Calfo style overflow mounted externally. For flow I intend on using 2 Tunze Nano Streams. Lighting will be a single 250W or 400W Halide, SE with a Lumenarc reflector and Ice cap ballast. The light will be at least 18" above the surface of the water, maybe as much as 2 feet. I want the top of the tank open and exposed so I can walk up and easily look down into it. That will also make it easier to clean and reach things in the back. I think that will be needed with 30" of depth. Return pump will be some sort of external pump, probably Iwaki. I haven't decided on a skimmer yet, I want something efficient. Probably a needlewheel style. The tank will be mostly SPS once again. So back to the original questions, who builds custom tanks? I got a quote from glass cages and they wanted $685 with shipping and I would have to pick it up in Dallas.

The quote was for the exact tank I described with a black back and 4 holes drilled.

That price seems a little steep to me, I'm sure I can find a better price.

Thanks and I hope to be back by the end of summer.

Edited by pickle311