My clowns are weird

Melissa

I don't get it. My clowns are just.. weird. I know that they can/will host anything, power heads, rocks, etc. But, mine....When I put in seaweed for the blenny, (no more tang :) she's in my friends 200 ) the bigger one shoves herself into it. The other clowns and the blenny, will nip away at it, the whole time, she stays in there hosting it. She stays in until its been eaten which is usually by the days end. After it's gone she goes back to swimming around, not interested in anything else.

Does anyone else have something like this to share? I will get the pictures of it posted here in a bit. Gotta find someone at work with an iPhone cable.

I think my current clown would host rocks if it came down to it. It has tried frogspawn, zoas, duncans, you name it. Though I must admit, it has never tried the nori I put in for my tangs (though they attack it pretty viciously).

When I get back from vacation, I am going to buy a large anemone for the silly clown. It has killed smaller ones by loving them too much.

Our two host the substrate under the nem. They won't go in the nem or touch it, but hang out right under it. Stubborn!

How long have they being doing that? A lot of clownfish lay eggs on the rockwork under the anemone.

I'm going to tie my husbands hands together so he can't feed this d*** tank anymore! He always thinks the fish are hungry and feeds them behind my back, and doesn't tell me until after I start do my night feeding on the tanks when he goes, "oh yea I threw some food in for them earlier...". Thankfully he only messes with the sw tank, not my freshwater ones.(doesn't find them as interesting.) I kept telling him he's feeding to much, and that is a big reason of what's causing the algae, ( i knew it was bad, but kept calling it a different name than Cyano). I noticed it really bad after I added some LR about a week and a half ago. I scrubbed them and rinsed them (in RO/DI) all before adding into my tank, but I guess not good enough. Could that have contributed some too?

I noticed it really bad after I added some LR about a week and a half ago. I scrubbed them and rinsed them (in RO/DI) all before adding into my tank, but I guess not good enough. Could that have contributed some too?

Yep. The addition of more live rock will have your tank go through a mini-cycle as there is plenty of dead stuff on the "live" rock. By rising it in RO/DI, you went ahead and got rid of some of the dead stuff, but also killed a lot of "live" stuff as well.

So the addition of the rock didn't help and scrubbing added to the damage.

Common mistake, but one that isn't fun for you now that you have to deal with the cyano.

Dealing with the cyano can be done with a mixture of keeping your husband away from the tank (bad husband!!), making sure you skimmer is running well, doing water changes (10% a week for now will help) and sucking off the cyano with an airline tube. Turning off your light for 3 days will help as well.

If that doesn't work, check with husband first, then let us know!

Lol, and I thought I did good by rinsing and scrubbing! When you say airline tube, you mean the tubing that is run on a bubbler? I know I have a new roll of the silicone tubing, I just never thought to use it for that. How did I miss your article? Oh, maybe cuz every time I read your blog, I click on links and find more stuff so it's like SW A.D.D. for me.

sucking off the cyano with an airline tube

Great idea Mark! I used a siphon/gravel cleaner and it did not work very well for siphoning it out.

I tried the gravel cleaner too - there is just too much wide flow going into the tube...you need very narrow specific flow to suck it off.

At least someone is normal! Another one is trying to host my Torch, and it's one of my two small ones, who paired up. He's been there for the last few hours according to my husband, (who yes, got told to stop touching the tank). The stupid clownfish is still trying to stay near the rock that will hold the Nori tonight, on the bottom of the tank.

post-1346-076912900 1283296130_thumb.jpg

post-1346-064862200 1283296145_thumb.jpg

At least your clowns are trying to get it right by hosting. Mine look to have zero desire to host anything. I've got two anemonies in there that they ignore. At first I just thought they needed a little time, like in my old tank it took like three months for them to host my green bubble tip. I've had a whiteish/ neon green bubble tip in there for over a year and about 4 or 5 months ago I got another bubble tip from river city that has a red base and reddish colors throughout. I'm not sure the exact species of either, but I'm pretty sure they are both bubbletips. Anyway no luck with either of them. They both are shrinking. I've tryed to feed them a variety of food, but they seem to reject everything I offer. In the past I could rely on my clown to do the feeding. I'm not sure what to do.

At least your clowns are trying to get it right by hosting. Mine look to have zero desire to host anything. I've got two anemonies in there that they ignore. At first I just thought they needed a little time, like in my old tank it took like three months for them to host my green bubble tip. I've had a whiteish/ neon green bubble tip in there for over a year and about 4 or 5 months ago I got another bubble tip from river city that has a red base and reddish colors throughout. I'm not sure the exact species of either, but I'm pretty sure they are both bubbletips. Anyway no luck with either of them. They both are shrinking. I've tryed to feed them a variety of food, but they seem to reject everything I offer. In the past I could rely on my clown to do the feeding. I'm not sure what to do.

what is your lighting like and water parameters?

what is your lighting like and water parameters?

I'm not sure of the wattage on my metal halides(maybe 150), but I have a fixture with two of those and two power compact antinic(?) bulbs that run the length of the 5 foot 140 gallon tank. I'll have to get back to you on the water parameters, but I have no reason to think that they would be out of line. I typically do a 10 gallon water change every sunday. In my old 55 gallon tank I let it go for several months and my bubble tip thrived in there, splitting so that at one point I had 4. One of them disappeared though. Maybe it got sucked up in the pump or something, but I never found any sign of it. Anyway My current tank is definately in better shape than my old one ever was, but my anemonies just aren't doing well.