Dwarf Lion eats from my hand!

Brooks

I used to do mainenance and clean this ladies tank, who just could not figure out why it was always in bad shape and she kept loosing things. In this tank she had a stingray, an eel, a lionfish, and an assortment of other fish and inverts including tangs, clowns, damsels, shrimp, crabs, and multiple anemonies. Someone didn't check the compatability chart, right. Not to mention all of this was crammed into a 55 gallon tank. AWESOME! While I did love a chance to see all of these lovely creatures, it was sad to see them in such poor living conditions. Anyway the point I set out to make was that you were brave to feed that little guy by hand. When I would have to stick my hand in that tank for any reason during cleaning, I never knew what direction a potential "attack" would be coming from. It was very nerve racking. On another note does anyone know the severity of a sting by a lion fish or a stingray for that matter. I'm sure it depends on the species, but generally speaking if I were stung by a lionfish would I have like ten minutes until I was d.e.d. dead or would it burn a little and pass?

I used to do mainenance and clean this ladies tank, who just could not figure out why it was always in bad shape and she kept loosing things. In this tank she had a stingray, an eel, a lionfish, and an assortment of other fish and inverts including tangs, clowns, damsels, shrimp, crabs, and multiple anemonies. Someone didn't check the compatability chart, right. Not to mention all of this was crammed into a 55 gallon tank. AWESOME! While I did love a chance to see all of these lovely creatures, it was sad to see them in such poor living conditions. Anyway the point I set out to make was that you were brave to feed that little guy by hand. When I would have to stick my hand in that tank for any reason during cleaning, I never knew what direction a potential "attack" would be coming from. It was very nerve racking. On another note does anyone know the severity of a sting by a lion fish or a stingray for that matter. I'm sure it depends on the species, but generally speaking if I were stung by a lionfish would I have like ten minutes until I was d.e.d. dead or would it burn a little and pass?

All of that in a 55g? Wow. Thats insane. And a Dwarf Lion Fish is poisonous, but I don't believe it is enough to kill you. My friends dad was stung by a Volitan Lion a couple of years ago, and he said he was in the restroom for a while. Unless you have some sort of terrible allergic reaction, I don't think you'd die.

They can be pretty lethal. I heard of a story where a man was stung by a lionfish doing his routine cleaning and almost died his his wife not found laying by the living room couch. I dont THINK the hospitals can do much for you if anything at all. That I know of soaking your body part in hot water (as hot as you could handle it w/o burning yourself) is the way to break those toxins down.

They can be pretty lethal. I heard of a story where a man was stung by a lionfish doing his routine cleaning and almost died his his wife not found laying by the living room couch. I dont THINK the hospitals can do much for you if anything at all. That I know of soaking your body part in hot water (as hot as you could handle it w/o burning yourself) is the way to break those toxins down.

I just read this article on Wikipedia. It's validity is always questionable, though.

"...a lionfish's sting is usually not fatal to humans. If a human is envenomed, that person will experience extreme pain, and possibly headaches, vomiting, and breathing difficulties. A common treatment is soaking the afflicted area in hot water, as very few hospitals carry specific treatments. However, immediate emergency medical treatment is still advised, as some people are more susceptible to the venom than others."

how big is it? that lionfish look tiiiiny!

He is just a Dwarf Lion, so he is tiny! Like.. 2 1/2 inches. I love him. wub.gif