True Union Swing Check Valves

aeroaustin

Anyone know where to find the True Union Swing Check Valves for pvc, I need one for my return pipe. I went to plumbing in south and they doesn't know what the hell of this. maybe give me the point so I can buy one this week. if anyone know where? I need this because I will get new 30 long gallon for sump and redo with return pipe with ball joint nozzle.

Marine Depot sells them. Prices are reasonable. I'm glad to see you asked for swing checks as spring checks are no good for us. Another place to try is Ryan Herco behind the Coca Cola plant on Burnett. Prices are generally $35 from what I have seen. The nice thing about the ones on Marine Depot is that they are clear so you can keep an eye on them. This is not a Hdepot item.

See I told you he would know. LOL

lol. I think I have to kneel and bow before caferacermike :doh: there are two difference between True Union Swing Check Valves - 3/4 inch Slip x 3/4 inch Slip and Swing Check Valve - 3/4 inch FPT x 3/4 inch FPT from marine depot. I don't know that Marine depot selling. I need to know what is difference between. what is better? then I will order tonight..... :D

Bow my head to Caferacermike. thumb up!

slip or SLP is the smooth joints that you glue together with solvent.  FPT is threaded.  Female Pipe Thread.  True Union means it has the screw together joint with the O-ring seal.  The True Union joint can be taken apart and put back together.  If you put a check valve in, your going to want to be able to take it out to clean it regularly.

Every bit of advice I've seen on plumbing an aquarium says not to use check valves.  They are prone to fail, or at least leak because of the buildup in the pipes, and they restrict the flow.  

I've never used one, so I'm only passing on what I've read.  It came from the internet so it must be true :doh:

JRoescher you had a great description of the meanings, Kudos. I definitely agree with you about the checkvalves, as in I'm against using them. However I saw the clear swing checks in use at a members home and almost fell over. It was perfect. I heard they are relatively new, and mainly a hobby addition, so many people don't know about them yet. The spring checks like they sell at the depot, have way to much restriction and would rob our circulation. The swings should not reduce the flow in any noticeable amount. If want the best seal, but possibly some restriction, mount it in a vertical position. The weight of the water pushing down will only make it seal better. I would clean it at least every other month. Check often for any sort of debri and use conventional anti-siphon methods so as to have a redundant insurance plan.

I bought one of the clear ones. It is on its way from MD. It was only $27 shipped second day. I will tell you if it works. I shouldn't have needed it, but a drilled a tank without think about siphon breaks. It looks like I will another thing to check during routine maintenance.

I got one yesterday from MD, 3/4, I haven't test one yet. I look at it and there is no spring, just rubber flap. wait and see.