Aquaconnect 14K and Reeflux 20K

Mike M.

Below is a full tank shot I took with a Reeflux 20K(left half) and Aquaconnect 14K(right half) 400W lamps. Both lamps driven by a Coralvue eballast. No opinion here, I just look for comparison photos from time to time and they are hard to come by.

Mike

AQU_0182.jpg

Mike I'm looking at doing 14k all the way across my tank. I have mostly softies still with little plans for sps. Do you think that will work or would I be better to switch it up? (4 bulbs btw.)

The 14K Aquaconnect is certainly a "whiter" light compared to the Reeflux 20K on the left. Probably just matter of taste since you are not thinking of getting SPS fever. I am not a softie expert by any stretch of the imagination so I would have to defer to anyone else's opinion what would be best for your tank.

I agree - the right side (where the yellow tang is heading) looks more blue to me as well. Are we crazy?

btw thanks for posting the comparison, I've been debating if my new bulb will be a 14k or 20k (I've got 10k now and I'm not happy with the color of the corals)

You aren't crazy. That's why I didn't make any big statement with the opener. Now, the Aquaconnect is not burnt in yet. It has four hours of burn on it so it may not be up to full output. That being said, that Reelux 20K sure looks yellow. It has about four months burn time. The Reeflux 20K may provide good growth despite its 20K designation.

YES, DEFINTLY the 20K is ALOT more white. Thats what my 20K Reeflux look like. Im fixn to expirement with K values also, i may post a pic here of the 2 -vs- eachother. The difference is that the Reeflux 20Ks are a full spectrum 20k from 10K-20K where as all other bulbs target a specific K value.

Thats an awsome looking tank and both bulbs look great but I like the bluer one better. I have tried reflux 12k and 20k's in 400w on coralvues and I thought the 12k's were bluer(which I prefer).I still have a new set of 20k's but I prob wont ever use em .Right now I am using ushio 20 k's and am very satisfied with the look. I just wish I could discover something cheaper that I liked the same and held their color rendition as long as the ushios.

yea the aqua connect bulbs are high dollar bulbs but i have read about the growth that people get from them are second to none. I like the look of the 14k better, i tried a reflux 20k in my tank and i did not like the color either did my corals. they were used to the phoenix 14k i guess. but i went back to the 14k..

Do it! Take a before photo. Install the $10 lamps. Run the tank 6 months taking a photo every 4-6 weeks. Let us see and maybe we can all throw away our $65-135 lamps. I'd love to see a demonstration of a healthy tank under less expensive lamps. Do it!

I made it through about ten pages of the ebay bulb thread. Interesting. I think I'm sticking with the spectral and output data available on the web to support my choice in lamp. I don't mean in any way that you couldn't keep a tank under those lamps and I think it would be cool to see a six to twelve month journal of a tank lit by a set of these Plusrite bubls. It might shed some light on low cost ways to operate within this hobby.