LR from hawaii

Will

Yeah....throw it out.

Beaches are some of the most disgusting places on Earth, bacteria-wise. Why do you think they 'comb' the beaches? It's to turnover the top layer of sand with all of the infectious bacteria.

Infectious bacteria? Set it out in the sun. Bacteria (infectious or not) will not survive such.

Yes, infectious bacteria, e.g., strains of staph infections that are resistant to even most antibiotics.

I saw a documentary/special on this once. Common-area beaches are just cesspools, but it doesn't sound like what you're describing.

It is illegal to remove sand, rocks, etc from most of the world's beaches. I thought all of Hawaii's beaches were protected.

That's not the question here Unicorn Meat.

Personally I'd soak the rock in bleach water for a few days followed by "cooking" it for a few months. Should be a pretty cool addition to your reef. I've never seen this type of rock in the reef trade.

Sell it to me, I'll put it in my tank. If the beaches were that dirty and full of staph bacteria then I'm sure noone would be swimmming on them. I probably wouldn't put Galvaston rock in my tank though.

" Bad Boys, Bad Boys...wacha gonna do? wacha gonna do when they come for you...." Come hide at Mama's...

I actually brought some small pieces of rock and shell type thingies from Florida last year...I let them completely dry in the hot summer sun for a week...all is good. I am going back to Florida next weekend and will bring back "small" pieces only as yes, the beaches are protected and you can not take any liverock. I am even going to try and catch fish, which you are allowed 3 per day, and bring them to my buddy in Ft. Lauderdale and have him ship them with my order when I return. I think it would be awesome to have something I caught in my tank. Last year I watched a group of people catch small tangs, blennies and damsels. They brought them home to their own tanks. I think I have to get a fishing license, though.