Venting

pbnj

Why is it that people (not talking about ARC) obsess about shimming their tanks that are not level by 1/16 of an inch, put styrofoam under their tanks, use eggcrate to protect their bottom glass, but have no problem stomping around inside their new tanks taking pictures with their whole family?

For those of you who are confused about my rant, I just think it's weird that we take all of these precautions to protect our tanks, yet some people can feel comfortable jumping around in theirs taking pictures.

Yes, they can take the weight, but why chance it? I can understand if you have to climb in to a 36" deep tank to do aquascaping, but watching people stepping inside their tanks is like running fingernails against the chalkboard to me. I want to scream, "Get out, you're gonna break it, fool!"

Well if your tank was as big as mine, you'd totally understand that I have to get in it to clean it or aquascape it. That's why I'll be risking it when I finally set it up. So consider that.

when are you going to set it up?

Well if your tank was as big as mine, you'd totally understand that I have to get in it to clean it or aquascape it. That's why I'll be risking it when I finally set it up. So consider that.

Like I said, if one must do so out of necessity, so be it.

Question: Why is it acceptable for those that have a large tank to get in it to modify, clean, scape, etc when new and dry yet somehow totally offensive and worthy of your judgment should they choose to climb in (or sub a family member) the tank for a photo op if not doing some sort of maintenance?

That sounds like big tank envy to me. That's the only reason I can come up with. I'm completely flummoxed by your hatred of those of us with the bragging rights. If you spent $5k on your tank and another $5-8k on eqpt, you just might want a picture of you or your family in the tank to show others that might not understand how large the tank is. I have thus far opted out of the "person in my tank" pics and have always told people to imagine a Coke machine on its side. I think I need batteries for my camera........

Now also consider the fact that the bottoms on tanks this large are generally 3/4"-1" thick and capable of supporting thousands of pounds on them. Yet you make an exception for sch80 PVC. You failed miserably on that one. PVC comes in just about every thickness you might want. A slab of 1/4" thick sch80 pvc couldn't hold near the weight of the glass and would crack.

Dude, relax....just a humerous, light-hearted observation coming from someone who is hyper-conservative (and very accident-prone).

I have an 8' 240g empty tank sitting in my living room and I won't even let my wife vacuum in there.

You can do cartwheels in your tank for all I care....go nuts.