Please help identify

nvandewa

I've got this tree looking thing that moves around my tank and I don't know what it is. Doesn't seem to do any harm. I notice that I am starting to get a few very small ones around the tank also. Should I keep it? I've also got a snail that likes to stick to my green star polyps. It's actually a white snail but has a brown spotted membrane that goes around it's shell when it's not retracted. I think it's eating the purple stuff on my star polyp rock. Should it go? Also, when a shrimp molts, do you take out the old shell? Thanks, Nathan. 016.JPG

post-1405-061816600 1281109147_thumb.jpg

post-1405-057270900 1281109205_thumb.jpg

The tree looking thing is a Kenya tree. They are famous for fragging themselves and multiply like crazy. Not sure about the snail, but I'm sure that someone will respond regarding that. The old shell from a molting shrimp can be taken out if it's easy to get to, otherwise...it won't hurt anything if you leave it in there. :)

The snail looks like it could be a variety of cowrie, particularly the way the mantle covers the shell. When it's retracted, is the shell very smooth, polished looking? If it is a cowrie, I'd keep an eye on it, some are reef safe, others aren't.

It sounds like a cowrie. i would say get rid of it just to be sure. if it is a cowrie, it is VERY likely to eat sponges, anemones, corals, starfish. do you see it at night or day? when it is sleeping, is most of the shell covered in its "membrane"

Nvandewa, are you talking about the Kenya Tree or the animal behind and a little left of the Kenya tree because that looks like an aptasia anemonie to me and you should get rid of it especially if it's reproducing. I'm with everyone else on the snail being a cowry and probably should be removed. I never bother to take out shrimp or crab molts.

Hi Nathan...I do see the aipatasia we were talking about today, like Timfish said, behind the kenya tree...either pepp's or the Aiptasia Control box that I showed you will work...Kacey is right about the cowrie...like I was told before.."if you didn't buy the critter and it shows up, it is best that it leaves!!"

I have a money cowrie just like that one, have had it for a year and had no issue with it. It's a cool little critter. See if you can identify it here before automatically removing it.

Additional links:

link 1 (what mine looks like when it's completely retracted)

link 2 shows what one looks like partially extended

link 3

Thanks for the help. I removed the snail to be on the safe side. It was eating at the coral. The brown "tree" and the animal behind it are actually the same thing. It extends up and down periodically through the day. It also moves around the aquarium. Since posting this picture it has moved over to the other side of the rock it was on. So, since it's one animal, are you leaning toward a Kenya tree or anemonie? Thanks, Nathan.

Kenya, i am not a fan, it spreads all over, i keep some in my fuge.

I mean, it is an easy coral, but that is the prob. it is TOO easy. in a year, you will be so angry at it.

Edited by KaceyJ