What is this ALIEN creature

o0zarkawater

Okay, so tonight I tried to feed my rtba a decent sized piece of shrimp. It was too big for him, so he dropped it. I figured the normal CUC and what not would take care of it. I shined a flashlight on the tank 3 hours after lights out, and saw this alien creature covering the piece of shrimp.

I'm sorry my pics aren't any good, its really hard to get good pics with no lights on.

img7826g.th.jpg

img7820.th.jpg

It moves like some sort of nudibranch?

Its like a magic carpet covering the piece of shrimp. Its about 2" long and 1" wide, spotted, thin. I cant make out a head or anything else, just a weird moving/living blanket trying to eat the shrimp.

It just really surprised me, because I do make a point to look at my tank at night with a flashlight w/ red cellophane, and I've never seen anything like it.

Any ideas? I was able to take video of it moving on my camera, but its really blurry and not any good. If there is interest I will upload it.

I recall seeing a video on YuuuuuuTube about this. Lets see.... found it.

So, that makes me think its a flatworm. A big disgusting flatworm wacko.gif

Thats it exactly. Thanks brooks.

I knew I had flatworms.... just the ones I thought I had are no bigger than 1mm and harmless.

Seems that this one is predatory to snails / clams / inverts. I haven't noticed anything missing lately though, but he has to be eating something to be that large. I haven't added any rocks to the tank in months.

I guess I have my entry for this months photo contest!

I recall seeing a video on YuuuuuuTube about this. Lets see.... found it.

So, that makes me think its a flatworm. A big disgusting flatworm wacko.gif

Thats it exactly. Thanks brooks.

I knew I had flatworms.... just the ones I thought I had are no bigger than 1mm and harmless.

Seems that this one is predatory to snails / clams / inverts. I haven't noticed anything missing lately though, but he has to be eating something to be that large. I haven't added any rocks to the tank in months.

I guess I have my entry for this months photo contest!

thats exactly what it is. Kill Kill Kill

p.s. they are prolific egg layers and can reproduce asexually.

I'm inclined to think it's a flatworm not a nudibranch but I'm not positive and haven't seen anything like it in 23 years of keeping saltwater. Do you want to keep it?

Not particularly.

I really should have pulled it out last night, as I've never seen it before, and don't know if I will see him again.

I'll see if I can get him out over the weekend.