Heliofungia Shrimp

JamesL

I have placed an order with SeaCrop and I noticed that they have some Heliofungia Shrimp (Periclimenes kororensis) for sale. Does anyone any experience with these? I did some googling, but mostly came up with pictures. I still have time to add to the order, but was sure on the durability of the shrimp (yes, I have read about the sometimes lack of longevity of Heliofungia plates too).

Was curious as I acquired a long tentacle plate this weekend that has jumped to the top of the "coolest coral in the tank list" :lol: .

Thanks.

Those shrimp look neat and I am always up for interesting invertebrates. If tou don't want to take the risk, can I recommend some sexy shrimp? They are super cool and my experience is they live for a pretty long time.

Thanks for the reply. Mary from SeaCrop got back to me and said they basically eat anything but the only think is they are small. So I went ahead and added one to my order from them.

I also love the unusual, especially when it comes to symbiotic relationships.

I might give some sexy shrimp a try down the road ... but correct me if I am wrong, did I not read somewhere that pistol shrimp and sexy's generally don't get a long? I have a small red striped pistol that used to be paired with a hi-fin goby.

Cool, thanks for the info on the pistol/sexy combo.

Will definitely share pictures. Here is the "home" for the soon-to-arrive Heliofungia shrimp (click for larger):

IMG_4647_med.jpg

[Edit: Please ignore the brown algae .. working on getting rid of that ;) ]

Edited by seahorsejl

(Sorry if this sounds familiar, I copied my post from Nano-Reef.com)

Well, all this hype for nothing.

I got my shrimp today, and it was pretty cool looking. Small and mostly clear. After acclimation, I tried placing him right next to the Heliofungia.

Well no sooner than he set down on the sand, I saw a purple flash, and BAM!, he was gone! :lol:

My stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid strawberry basslet snatched him up! Needless to say I was not happy.

Well, shall try again later with one... I knew I should have gotten rid of that fish when I caught the blennie....

But on the plus side, the rest of my shipment from SeaCrop was awesome. Tank is back on the right track.