T5 bulb question

Dena

I keep looking at getting a T5 fixture and then I just decide not to deal with it. The one thing I would like some input on from others are what bulbs to get if I do get a fixture. I have my hubby in the "go" with this, but I have to get him the total price before he will let me know.

I have a 24" tall tank. 48" long and 24" deep. Currently no SPS in it, just LPS and softies, but would eventually like to put some SPS in it again. Which brand bulbs have the best PAR rating and what color combination would I need to get something that resembles the 14K Phoenix Metal Halides? I like the blue tint that this bulb puts out.

I want to oder this like yesterday, so please send me your input ASAP LOL. I don't want my husband to change his mind.

As for fixtures...I'm currently liking the Nova Extreme Pro, 6 bulbs at 54Watt's each. If you have a different fixture or have input on one that may be better...share that also.

Thanks,

Dena

The Tek elite unit looks real good on paper and is better, IMO, than the NEP. I have an Aquactinics Tx5 on my 58 and another waiting for the 75 and I love them. They are a bit bulky though. The ATI t5 fixtures are probably the best available. Reefgeek has the ATI and the Tek units. I have my unit sitting on top of the tank and get _zero_ temp increase with it on. That, and ease of color changing, is why I went with T5, and it was cheaper.

When I initially setup the 58 I used all ATI bulbs(2x Aquablue special, 2 blue +, 1 procolor) but now have all Giesemann (2x actinic +, 2x aquablue, 1x midday) bulbs since they were the only thing available locally. I have no idea what the phoenix lamp you listed looks like but both of my combos are a nice crisp white. The shot of my tank at the beginning of the FTS thread has the ATI combo. The later FTS, from back in May, is mostly Giesemann bulbs. The colors are accurate.

ATI and Giesemann have generally been praised as having the best PAR.

See here for lots of info:

http://home.comcast....00/site/?/home/

Grim is the T5 guru on RC.

ask Don @ Frags n More. When I was at his place he was showing me his T-5 fixture (he has no halides) and he could turn combos of bulbs on/off to make corals change colors. It was insane and I was impressed.

He stocks bulbs and fixtures as well too.

IMO, the Fiji purples look nice (see the TOTQ), but Mike M says the color fades fast - like 6 weeks fast.

I've been doing a lot of searching since I posted and I have crossed out the Nova. The Tek is definitely a better price and it has an 8 bulb option, which I really would prefer....and I've seen good reviews. Downfall is no Lunar LED's...hubby likes those. I like the Icecap Reef Illuminations with the 6 bulbs and 2 strips of LED lights also, but price is up there, so that one is off my list. Right now it's between the Tek light and the AquaticLife. I like the slimmer ones. The plus on the AquaticLife is that is also has Lunar LEDS and a built in timer. The downfall is that it only has 6 bulbs and I really like the idea of 8 for some reason.

I'll check out your tank pics in a second. The Phoenix bulb has a nice blue tint to it. I'm guessing having more Aquablue would add blue so if I went with 8 lights I could do 3x actinic, 4x aquablue and 1x midday maybe? Is there something specifc that each kind of bulb is good for?

I don't have time to search RC...If I'm going to get this thing, I need to order it tomorrow. I was thinking of throwing it in on my Bulk Reef Supply order if I got the Tek light.

Dena

I just found a forum that has a thread specifically on different T5 combo's. They are posting photos and listing what bulbs they have. There are at least 12 pages of photos and on page 2 I think I found my combo. The guy even listed where he bought them from. I'm going to bed, but tomorrow I'll check out the bulbs...still need to decide which fixture I want to get though. This is exhaustingbye.gif

i have had 8xT5s for 5+ yrs. I hv used geisemen and ATI bulbs. I like both. I now employee both the T5s with my MHs and VHOs. I grew SPS fine with just T5s in a 24" deep tank. If u can afford it i'd go with atlest 8 bulbs in a fixture. JM .02 cents....

There is another company called Catalina Aquariums that makes some pretty nice T5 HO fixtures. They have an 8 bulb 54w T5 enclosure for 350$, and each bulb has its own reflector (not complete/separate individual reflector, but the whole reflector piece is shaped to create individual sections for each bulb).

I did a little research a while back and it seems that people on RC give the brand pretty decent reviews.

thats the fixture i bought OZ, it has a strip down the centerr of 8 LED (blue) moonlights that have it own plug in that you can dim to the intensity you desire. Its a relay great fixture and the good thing is it fits over a tank with a width of atleast 12" i think. Its the smallest width fixture u will find.

hhhhmmm thats weird, T5= 8x54w= 432Ws so say they are over driving them 10%=475.2. The bulbs might last 6mnths overdrivin that much. 2x400W mh=800Ws. The T5s dont even come close to the MHs. I'll hv to take pics of 8x54Ws over my tank in comparison to my 2x400Wmhs, then take a pic with all of them on and there is NO comparison. I like the ATI fixture dont get me wrong, but i dont think the 8x54W beats the 2x400W mh. JMO not tryn to stur the pot so to say. Mike (caferacer) said i need to come by your place sometime Clynt, he says that your tank and mine side by side would be 2 tanks that were awesome in comparison to eachother. He couldnt get over the colors we have.

Dena, if you haven't figured it out yet, T5's need to have individual reflectors and cooling fans for the best performance. Be sure to get a fixture that has those features and you'll be ok.

The older Tek unit doesn't have the fan and has a acrylic shield that really hurts the output.

If price wasn't an option, I'd get all LED's, but I'm trying to keep it under $500 fishypets LOL.

The baddest T5 fixture of them all is the ATI Power Module. I'd go with the 8 bulb 48" unit which runs around $1,000 or a little more. This fixture if more powerful than 2 400W metal halides.

I'll check this one out. It's a decent price and if it has LED's like the other member mentioned, then that's a plus.

There is another company called Catalina Aquariums that makes some pretty nice T5 HO fixtures. They have an 8 bulb 54w T5 enclosure for 350$, and each bulb has its own reflector (not complete/separate individual reflector, but the whole reflector piece is shaped to create individual sections for each bulb).

I did a little research a while back and it seems that people on RC give the brand pretty decent reviews.

Yeah, I think that was the downfall to the Nova. So the shield is no good...thanks for mentioning that because I was going to buy one if I got that fixture.

Dena, if you haven't figured it out yet, T5's need to have individual reflectors and cooling fans for the best performance. Be sure to get a fixture that has those features and you'll be ok.

The older Tek unit doesn't have the fan and has a acrylic shield that really hurts the output.

My tank is a 24"...so this may not work. The other fixtures are 17-19". Would something as small as 12" distribute enough to cover a 24" tank?

thats the fixture i bought OZ, it has a strip down the centerr of 8 LED (blue) moonlights that have it own plug in that you can dim to the intensity you desire. Its a relay great fixture and the good thing is it fits over a tank with a width of atleast 12" i think. Its the smallest width fixture u will find.

Okay, I think I am going with the TEK light. It's the widest of them all so I think it will help with coverage over my 24" deep tank. The newer one has individual reflectors.

I found a thread where a guy mentioned grim on RC and a color combination he configured. I like the looks of his tank and plan to go with these bulbs in this order:

ATI Blue Plus 450mn

GE 6500K

UVL 75/25 14K

ATI Blue Plus

UVL Aquasun 10K Pink

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Aquablue 12K

ATI Blue Plus

those colors seem fine, I have (4) daylight (6500K), (2) fiji purple, and (2) Actinic +. I have had this coloration going on for 4+ yrs. Also i wouldnt buy any GE bulb. JMO. I know there a little more for bulbs but i'd use ATI,UVL, or Geisemen.

Hubby said I can get the light, but it would mean we definitely won't be going to Port A in October because he would also need to buy something for himself. Now if I don't get the light, we're still not sure we'll be able to afford the trip.

So...what do I do? Buy new bulbs for my current fixture and still hope to go on the trip. Or get a new light and forget about the trip? AAAAAGGGGHHHHH! I hate decisions and he's laughing at me because he knows it!

Dena

I just found a forum that has a thread specifically on different T5 combo's. They are posting photos and listing what bulbs they have.

What is the link so I may look at the pictures. I need to order some new bulbs