JBJ 28g Skimmer

mooric

Does anyone else on these boards have a JBJ 28g nano cube? Are you still using the stock skimmer? If not, then what?

I am considering upgrading mine to an AquaC Remora. Has anyone else used one? What did you think of it?

TIA

Charles

I have a remora nano on my 10gallon and it works great. I have the remora pro on my 55gal, and I'm happy with it as well. I have not come across anyone on these boards with bad things to say about them. As far as HOB skimmers go, I think they are one of the better ones.

I had a Aqua C Remora skimmer. It worked superbly. I sold it last month to a fellow reefer who was in need. I did not really want to sell it because i have never had any problems with it. It was very easy to adjust and very affective. When I did my tank upgrade I got a skimmer that was rated for a 150g tank. So I was using both skimmers for a while until I picked up a wave box. Thats when I decided to take the aqua C off the tank because it was getting in the way of my wave box.(thats the only reason i took it off)

I hated mine. It never worked.

I had one on a 20g cube that was supposed to be for my first octo tank years ago, just the vendor could never get me my octopus.

Seems I was missing the cover to the collection cup. I figured hey it'll work. I sold it on after about 6 months. The new owner got a new cap for it, man did it work then. So I kick myself for never having got the cover for it, and from what I've seen and been told, they seem to work great.

I have had 2 of them. Once they break in, and you get it set up right, they are great. My only problem with them is that they are a little noisy. But I put a little floss over the injector and it seemed to quit it down quite a bit. For the money, they are hard to beat.

I have a JBJ 28 with this skimmer.

I'd rate it a C-

Pros:

* Fits in center chamber with some mods to the lid.

* Relatively quiet

* Can pull out some great skimmate when everything is adjusted properly

* Price (I got it for $49)

Cons:

* Needs constant adjustment or perfect top-off water level

* Doesn't always put out great skimmate

* Spits out lots of micro-bubbles

Some say you can mod it to reduce or eliminate the microbubbles, but I haven't been able to do that successfully.  If you could, I'd rate it A-.

I think euro reef has a hob for a nano, and also deltec has one that I would also check into.

Euro-reef has one that fits in the center chamber with some modding, but that means I loose my refugium space, which I enjoy having. I looked at the Deltec but those are a lot more money.

For that kind of money, I think you could do better. Like the Tunze 9002 if that will fit in the jbj.

For at least 3x as much :) I've also heard great things about the Remora and the 9002, but the price tags are similar. Not sure how the remora would work with the lid though, as it's HOB.

I haven't received mine yet, but I'm running a 24g nano cube and I'm going to put an AquaticLife Mini Skimmer 115 into the first chamber of mine. If you're interested I'll have some info on it soonish, but it seems like the reviews I've read are fairly positive. I've heard the tunze is a bit quicker to skim, a bit easier to adjust, and quieter (to some), but at 3x the cost I figured I would try the well rated alternative first. For your skimmer particularly, I think the general consensus by reviewers is that it does work, but it doesn't pull a whole lot of gunk.

The problem with the Tune 9002 is that you have to saw off the mounting magnet, and then cut the trim on the tank so it can fit in the center compartment. That would mean I loose my refugium.

The Remora is good from the reviews I have read (though a little loud). I could fit a Maxi Jet 1200 in the far left compartment, though I have read that these skimmer to best with a Mag 3.

I prefer to go with a skimmer that doesn't require me to put the pump in the tank at all, but that really limits me. It's all on where do I want to compromise.

Well there's an eShopps 75G HOB skimmer that I briefly looked at in my looking around. It uses a siphon tube and the pump and skimmer is both external, however the pipes that go into the tank are something like 6-6.5" apart, which at least for my nano cube didn't align well with the back compartments and the clip on light I'm using - it could fare better with a proper hood because it leaves the back open.