cal reactor

Viet'spride70

i could not find a used reactor w/ small foot print, so decided to build my own, and it is cheap. after few days playing w/ AMERICAN controller and co2 valve i got it where i want, now this baby is kicking good.

HERE IS PART LIST:

* most of plumping parts found @ HD or LOWE.

*clear acrylic tube, part # 6017324100, http://www.estreetpl...c_Tube_s/45.htm. this will fit perfectly inside a plumping endcap.

*ehiem 1048 pump.

it is 4"x18" reactor. final assembly, the whole unit is 6"x10".

sorry no pics on the steps. my camera was broke during this time but i took some pics @ finished w/ a friend's camera.

ANY COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS ARE WELCOME...LMK, I CAN HELP.

THIS IS MY FIRST ONE BUT IT WON'T BE A LAST...

post-1098-077258400 1279935099_thumb.jpg

post-1098-083315100 1279935133_thumb.jpg

post-1098-034535900 1279935230_thumb.jpg

Edited by ongmat

looks cool, does the cap on top seal ez, that would be the only dwn fall to the screw on lid. Those typicaly dont seal good. Nice work, i guess theres a plate under the media for the upflow to go threw the media? AHH im looking at it now and its a top dwn flow, would be better to inject CO2 in the bottom of media(air rises). JMO

looks cool, does the cap on top seal ez, that would be the only dwn fall to the screw on lid. Those typicaly dont seal good. Nice work, i guess theres a plate under the media for the upflow to go threw the media? AHH im looking at it now and its a top dwn flow, would be better to inject CO2 in the bottom of media(air rises). JMO

on top lid, i run a few layers of telfon and it seals good. i got it running for days, have not had any water sippnig out at all.

i used a 4" strainer plate @ bottom as a screen for upflow. try to put co2 injector at the pump outlet, but couldnot do it, do not wanna deal w/ plastic nipple glue in pcv ( future disaster) maybe i 'll try that next time. i used a brass barb fitting w/ 1/2" NPTS....i do take carefully consideration on this project and happy w/ the out come....

Just trying to figure out your base plate. Is that a PVC cap that has been glued to a piece of PVC sheet?

no, original it is as in pic. i saw off approx 11/2 long on a side like an opening slot (where it is marked) and that is facing the 1/2" pvc fitting at the bottom.

instead of drilling a perfect hole to glue a pvc pipe to reactor body, i use a fostner drill bit and use pipe tap and die kit to make threads, and with some silicone, that plumping holds strong and seals good...

post-1098-014183000 1280020438_thumb.jpg

Edited by ongmat

cool, i may just make one to do it, great build. hv u got it up and running to check the effluent levels?

yes, regular check for 3 days and it seems to work out very well. API test measures 480ppm CAL and 27dKH. water shows 400ppm and 11-12dKH.

LMK if u need help to build one...