Howdy

Sythrak

Hey everyone... Im just starting up, and my co worker (known as diabeetus here on the forums)recommended this site to me. I'm starting out with a 29g biocube with a Mh light.... Just got water and live rock today. Y'all all seem like quite the active knowledgeable type, so I figure I'll go ahead and ask ... Any advice for the newbie? I'd like to avoid ever having to experience a crashed tank, if at all possible :)

Thanks,

Kevin

ok where to start...im sure diabetus has already told u everythng. From my exp use crushed coral for sand (NOT LIVE SAND), use live or dead rock(dry)...dry rock there wont be as much on an issue with levels at 1st like there are with live rock. If u get live rock and its local(PROF on here) u shldnt hv much of an issue with levels as it is already cycled. Recommend probably start with 40lbs of rock. Flow....depends on what ur gonna keep. The desire at first is to grab some beautiful ZENIA (dont do it) cause it looks pretty and sways in the water and pulses ahhhhhh....uuuuuuggggggg is what comes next when it takes over the tank. JK if thats what kinda tank u want LPS/Softies cool, realy beyond that its just maintanance, using RO/DI water ALWAYS, filtration(use carbon and a granular ferric oxideGFO), and PATIENCE!!!!!! the 1st 6-9mnths u may wanna throw in the towel cause ur tank doesnt look as good as the ones u hv seen everywhere else but like momma said time is of essence. It will be beautiful if u let it grow like a child. Theres up/dwns +/- make it fun not a job.Just dont give up when a little algae show up on glass or rock etc. it gonna happen. Last get a clean up crew(CUC) depends on the waste(POOP) and feeding u will be doing as to how big a CUC u need. usually 3-5 crabs/gallon water (blueleg-REDLEG there better)IMO get some snails for cleaning the glass like mmmmm 25 and ur golden. i know i hvnt answered all the ?s u will hv but thats a goot start.OH>>OH>>OH>>4got if the light is used and the person doesnt know how old the bulbs are dont chance it, buy NEW ones. Good to hv u here, ENJOY the next few yrs to come, u hv to be dedicated and have strong will pwr not to give up on saltwater. The end result is many night of relaxing times in frnt of the tank jujst thnking "WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE IT BETTER/PRETTIER!!!!!"

Hey Kevin welcome to the addiction!

Check out the Resource Forum her on ARC. There is a lot of good information written by our very knowledgeable members. Research, research, research. Did I mention researching? The net is your best friend. Finally be patient. Nothing happens quickly in this hobby.

Tap into the wealth of information of the forum. Remember the only dumb question is the unasked question.

I would also like to extend to you a personal invitation to our next meeting.

Good luck and happy reefing!

Dave-