Its like Christmas

Or was this tax return? :)

Are these for a 5D Mk2, or something else? I've been giving my Canon a break, and experimenting with micro four-thirds as of recent.. but the 7D or 5D MkII are my possible Canon upgrades, if I don't fall for MFT.

40D... but I'm looking at the 7D or the 5D mk2, I haven't decided yet.

Hah - we're in the exact same boat, then. I got the 40D last Fall, and was sure I'd be set, no more considering upgrades..

Then I decided I needed HD video with the versatility of interchangeable lenses ;) so before fully splurging on another Canon body to accommodate this, I picked up a PEN E-P1 to play with.

What other lenses are in your kit? My Canon gear is down to just the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 + Sigma 10-20mm f/4 now.

those are pretty much all I will ever need, with the exception of a couple of different primes for portraits. I have a 50mm 1.8 as well that I like to shoot with. I have a Canon EF 70-300mm 3.8-5.6 IS that I will be selling and I also have a 28-135mm 3.5 5.6 IS USM that I will hang on to.. Sigma and Tamron makes some ok lenses for Canon, in fact there are a couple that are better than canons. check out slrgear.com for some awesome lens reviews.

The 40D is a great camera, but I'm wanting another body for when I do weddings. Its a PITA to have to change lenses to get a shot. I'd rather just grab my other body and shoot with two cameras.

Its a PITA to have to change lenses to get a shot. I'd rather just grab my other body and shoot with two cameras.

I know what you mean - most of the time I take my camera out, I only bring it with one lens because I don't want the distraction of swapping lenses.. Only other lenses I was really thinking to pick up for the Canon were the Sigma 24mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, and the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro IS. I personally stick to primes, aside from my super wide angle.

Do you use any remote or hotshoe flashes currently, or no?

Luckily, you could purchase a pair of 40D + 50D bodies for less than the price of a 5D Mk2 :) but I've yet to know someone to go 5D Mk2 and turn back to anything else, ever.. Only way I'd short myself & opt for the 7D rather than 5D Mk2 is if I were spending significantly less.

I do have the 580ex II flash that I would recommend to anyone looking for a hotshoe flash for their canon. I am looking at Elinchroms BX 500 Ri togo set as a mobile unit for my in home studio as well as on-sites.

The 100mm 2.8 macro is also on my list as well. Funny thing is that the Sigma 50MM 1.4 actually performs better than the canon for far less money. (slrgear.com). I'm not sure about the 24mm though. That one you may want to hold out for.

The 5D MK2 actually shoots better than the EOS 1D cameras. That is one reason I am looking at it. The 7D is the 3rd in line behind the 5d MK2 and the EOS 1D cameras for 1k less than the 5D. I'm leaning WAY towards the 5D.. I mean 1k extra for a camera that out performs an EOS 1D camera system.. no question. :wave:

Only flashes I ever looked at were the AlienBees B800, and the White Lightning X1600.

I'm with you there on the lenses - I had the 50mm f/1.8 and was extremely unimpressed with it, primarily with the cheap feel and the horrible balance it had with the heavy camera body. After I sold it, I'd planned to get another Canon 50mm, one better - til I read the reviews on the Sigma in comparison. The 100mm 2.8 is a GREAT aquarium lens :wave: but is also seemingly capable of doing some portraits too.

Luckliy.. the 5D Mk2 bodies can be had for under $2000 now in the 2nd hand market ^_^ I mean, you may not be shopping used ones, but as it's all I could ever hope for, and all I wind up looking at - haha.

I first looked at the Alien bees, but after careful review and opinions from people who have had personal experience with them... They are just not consistent enough for what I need. As far as the White lightning.. I have no information on them.

Oooooh! Sweet lenses. You've even got the 70-200 2.8 !? I've been coveting that bad boy (the Nikon version) for a year now. Serious lens envy! Hey check out Profoto lighting - it may just be me, but everything else felt like junk after shooting with them. Great speedrings if you use alot of softboxes, too. I use Photogenics right now which are pretty good, but I'm planning on moving up to the Profotos in the future. Personally, I was never a fan of the Alien Bees - the price sure was right, but I never quite got the results I was looking for.

yeah, that is the same thing I have heard from everyone that has used the alien bees. I mentioned I was about to drop 2k-3k on lighting and the guy at precision actually talked me down to the Elinchroms from the profotos.. When I asked him why he said simply.. they are more affordable.. I asked him why that was.. he stood there a second and said.. I'm still trying to figure that out. As far as he knows from experience, the Elinchroms perform just as well as the Profotos.

I had to go ahead and drop the extra dough on the 2.8 for the sports and low light weddings that I shoot. I swayed between ver 1 or 2 since there was quite a bit of a price difference, but Canon totally revamped the Image Stabilization in the new lens.. I can literally shake the camera and the image does not move at 200mm WITH the 2X extender on it.. freaking awesome!

I think of it as a gift from my dad, but I'd rather he still be here. He has been out of my life since I was 7 and I am now 31, married and have a child of my own on the way. Not a day goes by that I do not think of him. Life is short, so I am going to make the most of mine. :huh: