School of Yellow Tangs

Derek

Is it possible to keep multiple yellow tangs? I just setup a 185 gallon tang and am thinking that three yellow tangs would look great. I have a yellow eye kole tang and a sail fin tang. I think those would be the only possible compatibility problems.

To answer your question yes it is possible. The established tangs will probably beat the new yellow tangs around for a week or so. Adding them all at once will help to spread the aggression though. My kole tang wasnt very aggressive but I would suspect your sailfin will be the bully at first.

I ran 4 Yellow Tangs and a Clown Tang in my 180. It worked out ok. The aggression was spread out a lot. But in the end I didn't get the school effect just lots of yellow in the tank. Each tang had its own territory. I hope it works out better for you.

I can't even keep one yellow in my tank, to mean.

I saw a tank at sea world in FL where they had schools of poweder blues, maybe 100 or more total in a several thousand gallon tank. Not that any of us have a tank that big, I just thought is was cool. There was one powder brown and one purple tang cruising around with them.

I tried to attach a video clip but the file was to large.

Probably. It's going to depend on the temperment of the individuals to a degree. One of my tanks has a huge old sailfin that tries to chase people away if they get up close to it's tank. I've also seen Zebrasoma sp. decide after years together not to cohabitat.

Luckily, your tank was truly just set up, so the existing tangs aren't established and already territorial and dominant. The first month or two of the tank being set-up (as this was a transition from the 90 into the 185, right? Not just a fresh start on a 185 with all brand new liverock?) is your prime opportunity to add the new tangs into the mix. If you're wanting to add a handful of one kind, you definitely wanna drop them in all at once. The longer you wait between adding tangs, the less warm their welcome will be :doh: