40 Breeder question

Will

I bought a 40 breeder from Lamont, and im thinking about making it rimless. It has a glass center brace which may be weight bearing, but im not sure. do you think that taking off the center brace would compromise the structural integrity of the tank?

Not to go against the experts but it really depends on several things, the thickness of the glass, the width of the longest panel and the hight of the tank. If memory serves me, a 40 breeder is 36" wide, and quite shallow. Im running my 65g. 36" x 18" x 22" with no center brace and have been for several years with zero problems, it has 1/2" glass. If the tank is shallow enough and the glass it up to the task, you can at least consider it because it can be done successfuly. Its really up to you and how important you feel the brace is depending on the construction of the tank... :)

Removing the center brace is not necessarily a problem. The center brace keeps a tank from bowing which is important when trying to have glass tops. It is sometimes difficult to do and there is always a chance of breaking the tank especially if you are trying to take the trim off. Also, a standard 40 breeder doesn't have a center brace.

In a word "Yes"

+1 with Gabe

Add me to this list. Measure the glass on the edge. If the tank was built with a center brace I'm betting it's 1/4 maybe 5/16. If you want to experiment remove the center brace, fill it with water and measure the width between the middle and ends. If the brace is structural the sides will have bowed. Tanks that are designed with out a center brace will either have a reinforcing lip or be MUCH thicker than a comparable tank with a brace.

I wouldnt risk it IMO. Leaking tanks scare me. If you take it off more pressure is then put on the silicone. How about this take it off then have someone eurobrace it. Shouldnt be too expensive.