Aquacontroller Apex

medi

I am thinking about ordering the Aquacontroller Apex, but before I drop at least $500 on this thing I want to make sure it's worth it. Does anyone around here have any experience with it? Also what would everyone recommend including with my order. I am looking at the apex base unit with PH probe. I don't plan on doing anything to crazy with this thing, at least, not right away. What is the best way to set this thing up wirelessly?

I have an Aquacontroller III and I love the thing. I'm still considering an upgrade to the Apex so I can add on the Vortec module, but I'll probably end up timing that with my summer system upgrade.

I'm probably going to actually end up with the Apex Lite...I can't find a reason to want the full blown Apex at this point. I don't have Tunze powerheads or use dimmable lighting...

As far as wireless, a wireless bridge should work fine. I don't think it has wireless networking built into either module.

I have a DC4 HD and a DC8...and I'm running out of outlets. My lights use three outlets on the DC4HD and I believe I'm using 7-8 outlets on the DC8. So you'll probably want to consider a second EB8 (Apex version of the DB8) module.

If you get the APEX and you don't have Tunze power heads get the LITE. Buy more outlet bars because you will run out fast. I have an ACIII and use a wireless gaming adapter to access it remotely.

Why not just get an aqua controller 3 and save $200?

I'd love to. You want to sell me yours. :) I haven't been able to find any except one on ebay and they have the price jacked up as high as the apex.

This is great information. After hearing what yall have to say I don't have any reason to get the full version. I guess I could go with the lite and save some cash. I agree about the DC8s. I imagine I will make short work of 8 outlets.

Why not just get an aqua controller 3 and save $200?

I'd love to. You want to sell me yours. :) I haven't been able to find any except one on ebay and they have the price jacked up as high as the apex.

that's funny. Sometimes I think i could make a decent side income being a personal shopper for fish stuff.

One question that I haven't been able to find is what all is included with the Lite package. I assume one temp probe and a DC8 and prob. nothing else? Does that sound right?

One question that I haven't been able to find is what all is included with the Lite package. I assume one temp probe and a DC8 and prob. nothing else? Does that sound right?

i think they give you a pH probe as well.

I have the same setup as dpettit, an ACIII with two DC8s and am using a wireless bridge to connect to my network. I also have it where I can view it from my phoen (thanks Dave, still working on edits to your manual)! Awesome device!

If you are running a Mac laptop or desktop, the Airport Express wireless adapter works very well with the APEX unit. That is the configuration I am running with my tank and network. There are some great posts in the Neptune section of Reef Central about working through the kinks. It took me a little while to get things ironed out, but six months later, I am very happy with the investment in the APEX head unit and the one Energy Bar 8 that I have on my system. For things like the two stream pumps, I use a power strip to plug in the Tunzes and the the two circulation pumps just use one outlet on the Energy Bar 8 to help preserve the precious space on the controlled strip.

If you are a PC guy, one of the various and a sundry wireless bridges out there will do it for you. You'll find the browser based software to be great and easy to work with. I like mine for sure.

Whether you choose the full APEX, an APEX Lite, or the other more economical routes suggested above, I know you won't regret the Neptune line of controllers. I have really enjoyed mine and it has operated flawlessly.

Good luck with whatever route you choose,

MIke

Been very happy with my Apex setup... for my 90g, i have:

Apex w/ temp, pH, and pH/ORP (used as pH)

2 x EB8

4 LED Lunar Simulator

IO Breakout Box (would recommend doing a DIY instead)

Wireless Expansion Module (for Vortechs)

Want:

Probe Module 1 (want to use ORP in this or main module)

Plugged into my UPS, i have a 12v a/c adapter for the main module, DD-WRT wireless client, and 1 of the 2 Vortechs.

Support from both Neptune as well as the RC community is phenomenal.

PM me if you want to come over and check out my setup.

Aquarium Specialty has a good list of what is in the various kits. We jus ordered the Apex Aquarium Controller Kit 2 and additional energy bar.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=49_107_565

We went with the full controller because we are geeks, I am certain that it will do something way cooler than the lite! I don't know what it is, but I'm sure I need it.

The cost difference between Apex and Apex Lite is $130 (retail). What you give up is 1) the additional ph/ORP port and 2) the 4 variable speed ports. The former is usable w/ Tunze's or dimmable ballasts. If you don't have that need, then you can gain back the 2nd ph/OPR, eg for controlling a Ca reactor, for $75 with the PM1, which also gives you an additional 6 digital inputs and ability to monitor another temp. The benefit of the Apex Lite + PM1 combo is that now you have the flexibility to locate your pH probes and/or digital inputs further away if you have such a need.

I was down to the Apex vs. Apex Lite debate, and went for the full blown Apex. Haven't hooked it up yet, waiting until I move and set up my new tank. I feel like I may be going towards LEDs in the future, and want the ability to use the Apex to dim them. I personally would rather spend the extra 130 and know that I have stuff that I may want down the road. Apex Lite comes with the temp probe only I believe, and no PH. So if you want the PH probe, then you're in the 400ish range anyways. The unofficial user guide is pretty bad@ss.

http://reeftech.webs.com/Apex%20New%20User%20Guide.pdf