HELP! My tank is leaking

Daisy82

What do I do!!?? there is a steady dripping leak and it seems to be coming from the bottom... I have no idea how to even locate the leak. It is travelling along the bottom of the trim. if anyone has any ideas please let me know! I have drained about half the water hoping to relieve some of the pressure....

Hate to say it, but the only way I know to fix a leaking tank is to completely drain it and recaulk it once it's empty. Is it drilled and leaking around the bulkhead or is it as it sounds and leaking from the seam? Maybe someone on here knows a trick to fix it without draining it.

yup, underneath my overflow where the tank is drilled was were I first suspected, but it's dry. Can't see anything through the hole either. I have no idea what area of the bottom it's coming from - there is water at all four corners. It is definitely dripping faster from the back right corner, but that could just be because the floor's not level... I don't know. I'm just hoping the whole bottom doesn't come crashing down!

draining half the water and taking out some of the rock hasn't improved the situation at all - looks like I'll have to empty everything. If anyone knows of someone who can re-seal a tank, please let me know!

This really stinks - the tank was doing so well! And of course I just ordered some goodies in the group order. In the words of George Costanza, " Why must there always be a problem!? "

Oh Amanda!!! I am SO sorry this is happening to you...I have never had a leaker, but unfortunately I have to think that the best solution is to drain it dry and seal the hole.hmm.png PLEASE let me know if I can help you in any way.

Laura

Well, it took me until 3:30 in the morning but I got everything out - what a job! On a positive note, though, I got a great arm work out, and found a missing coral!

No, unfortunately I don't have another tank - live rock is in a big trash can and livestock is in buckets right now.

Does anyone know of someone who does tank repair?

OR... this could be an opportunity to go a little bigger ........ anyone know of a good deal on a 90 gal or so with a wood stand and canopy? Doubt this option will work because it would have to be super quick.

Well, I guess I could get it drilled in the same amount of time it would take to get my old one fixed. Yes, let me know - I'm willing to consider all options at this point!

Well, as if right on cue our AC just went out. This is not my week!

Anyone know of way to keep a tank cool besides fans? I thought about maybe putting milk jugs full of water in the freezer and sticking them in the sump ... don't know if that would cool it too quickly though.

... don't know if that would cool it too quickly though.

I feel bad for you! At least today wasn't real hot. How big is your system? My guess is jugs of ice won't cool it very much at all. I'm inclined to think fans are going to work better and be easier.

Yeah, all I need now is for the power to go out and we'll have a perfect storm! That's true - today was nice and cool. I'm just hoping it gets fixed by tomorrow before it gets up to 95 degrees! I've got a 65 gal with a 20 gal sump.

Amanda, I got a book around someplace that's got formulas for figuring BTU's but it's over my head. Guestimating a gallon at 30 degrees added to 70 gallons at 80 degrees I'd think you'd see less than half a degree drop in temperature by putting a gallon jug of ice in your sump.

good to know - hey thanks alot for the offer! I hope I won't have to take you up on it becase I know it's an inconvenience. There really should be a place that does fish and coral boarding :)

I'm seriously regretting getting in on a group order last week now.... shipment comes in tomorrow. Just crossing my fingers that my parameters will be ok and the AC will be fixed!

any idea when the ac will be fixed?when mine went out a few weeks ago i found out no lights,minimal pumps,and lots of fans goes a long way.you might consider unplugging your heater tonight.the lower it goes tonight the more time you have tomorrow till it reaches its peak.

Repair man is supposed to come tomorrow to fix it - hope it's something simple. Yup, I've got the top off, no lights, several fans going, and I don't use a heater.

Anyone know of way to keep a tank cool besides fans? I thought about maybe putting milk jugs full of water in the freezer and sticking them in the sump ... don't know if that would cool it too quickly though.

I've done this before.. the challenge is freezing the water fast enough to somewhat keep up with the rate the tank water melts it. Another option that I've seen work in a pinch is a cooler filled with ice.. they used a small pump (mj900 I think) to push water through a coil of plastic tubing placed in the ice in the cooler. Not a long-term solution by any means, but it could help in a pinch.

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone for their advice, kind offers of help, and support!! Thanks to you guys, I got my tank back up and running with no major hitches. (Also the AC was repaired this evening yahoo.gif) Without everyone's helpful suggestions it would not have gone so smoothly. ARC members rock!