Red Slime Removal

Salty Jeff

I had a red slime breakout in my tank.dry.gif I guess that's what it was. It looked like velvety reddish brown algae. I was going to bomb it with ChemiClean, but I thought I'd also put a balloon molly in. I have an 8 gallon tank with 2 peppermint shrimp, an emerald crab and 5 snails. The molly is going to TOWN. I haven't even bombed it yet and I don't think I will. I'll post pictures later.

I'm reluctant to say it looks like he could suck the chrome off a hitch, but he sucks the rock and a small white circle of clean rock appears. It's awesome. Mollies are technically brakish water fish, but given the option they'd prefer saltwater to fresh. I slowly poured salt water into his bag and swished it around. 10 minutes later I just plucked him out of that bag and off he went cleaning my tank.

You can get them anywhere, but Aquatek has them for $4. I like the shape of balloon mollies. They're fat. It amuses me.

29185_624782035027_39604148_36034978_3486498_n.jpg

Ok, so I just got back from dinner at a friend's house and Dave has pooped a lot, but cleaned the crap outta that front rock. Pun intended. It was covered when I left. At least I won't have to feed him while I'm on vacation.

29185_624833916057_39604148_36038230_1787294_n.jpg

I have never had success with red slime remover. I think the red slime is there because of a nutrient issue and it really wont go away until you fix the nutrient issue.

I agree. I'm avoiding the use of red slime remover again until I get other issues resolved. Flow is my next one to figure out.

Two MP40s seem like overkill for a 75...but if I'm going to upgrade eventually, what can it hurt? :o