monti cap growth

KeeperOfTheZoo

I have two little monti cap frags (green &brown). I've read that flow influences their shape as they grow but aside from that no other info was provided. I really like the look of a large colony with multiple 'shelves'. Will the coral always do that as it grows or do I need to adjust the flow over it a certain way?

Right now the bright green frag is showing good growth, enough that it has encrusted on a rock and some of the new growth is starting to cup and part is growing out across the rock. (I've had it about a month and a half). I'm really curious to see how it grows out.

I'm gonna have to find a purple monti cap frag. Wow, the purple is pretty! I found this thread on another forum with some really cool pics of monti experiments a few pages in. I'm not sure I havethat kind of patience but the results are awesome!!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=167411

I traded one of my best looking monti caps and it was already cupped and growing at a pretty good rate. Now I have a neon green frag and a red one.(4"-5") The only growth that i notice is on the rock that its attached to. I see alot of polyps growing on the rock and super glue. I wish i could see some outward growth. May have to pull out the ol' measuring stick. I heard if you place the caps sideways you may start to see more growth. I turned my red sideways and left the green one horizontal and will compare the growth in a month. If you want some idaho grape monti I think Hydro Innovations has some for sale at a good price. I may be getting some also.

I have several large colonies. My orange one sits right in front of a power head and it is both scrolling and fanning out. I have a purple on struck behind my large birnest growing at an angle with no flow. It is cupping in a stair step fashion. I think the larger the colonie gets the more it will start to scroll. I do know they suck up a lot of calcium!

As we say in this hobby patience is everything.

Dave, thanks for the heads up about calcium. I have a couple SPS frags that are growing much faster than I would have anticipated as well as a few LPS frags that are showing so much growth I'm amazed. I guess I had it set in my head that all LPS and SPS grow really, really slow. I've since learned that some are indeed fast growers. I keep checking my calcium and it doesn't stay as high as it used to but it's still ok (400-420, down from 450). If it dips below 400 I'm going to start dosing calcium. For right now I'm just going to leave well enough alone.

Lamont, I'm hoping mine cup vs. plate. Seems like they're doing it in Dave's tank no matter the flow so here's hoping we get some nice growth eventually too.

Did you see the pictures of the different montis all grown together in the link? It's AMAZING!!!

I think I am killing a chunk of green monti. It went from green to brown and doesn't seem to want to come around. Liz, what kind of lighting are you using?

Ric I moved a piece of the same cap you have to Robin's 58 gallon. She's running 300 watts of compact PC's and I have it high on the back wall. It went from green, to brown, and now it's yellow. The weird thing is under actinics it's green.

Liz - I'll try to post a pic of the purple cap.

Ric, when i was using PC's(192w) i had a similar problem. i had it high in the tank and the polyps would not come out. it was slimy at first touch. then i moved it in front of my power head(K2) and the polyps started to come out and it wasn't slimy until i held it in my hand for a while.

Ric, when i was using PC's(192w) i had a similar problem. i had it high in the tank and the polyps would not come out. it was slimy at first touch. then i moved it in front of my power head(K2) and the polyps started to come out and it wasn't slimy until i held it in my hand for a while.

Lamont - I believe he has a nice set up of T-5's.

Liz, here are a few progress pics of my montis. My calcium regularly measure 400 when I have it tested at RCA. I do not dose currently. My T5s are in need of replacing too, but everything is still doing well.

Red monti in February:

4374923336_e928fe7362.jpg

The same monti today:

4648571994_8267d699eb.jpg

Purple monti (also from Febreuary):

4378048380_a130152521.jpg

Purple monti today:

4648564734_36ce3bf74a.jpg

Full tank shot:

4648564488_55719dd915.jpg

Edited by JeffT

Wow Jeff, that's awesome growth! ! Nice tank too.

Dave, I don't want to see your pretty purple monti unless you're willing to frag some for me. Then again, I'm a glutton for punishment.... torture me with your gorgeous tank pics. :P

Ric, I have 4x 96w PC lighting. The green is holding its color just fine, little polyps are out and its growing. I was looking at the brownish frag and its changed, looks like its trying to get kinda orange maybe? Although looking at Jeff's pics it looks a lot like his red cap.

Cruddy pics taken with my phone, gotta replace my real camera.

Here's the green, you can see the growth to the right. It's grown out more behind it where you can't see in the pic as well. It's hard to see in the pictures, but this one has grown a lot in a month. Nice green derbesia as well. It's almost gone now, I'm not sure what my tang is gonna do when there's no more macro in the tank.

post-1140-029300500 1275093049_thumb.jpg

And this is the brown one, but after looking at pics of orange and red I'm not sure it's actually brown. Good growth ring all around it.

post-1140-053978700 1275093092_thumb.jpg

I don't knpow how nice it is but I am using a Current Sundial, 216 watts plus a 48 inch tube of LED's. If we ever get a PAR meter, I would love to have them tested.

I don't know how nice it is but I am using a Current Sundial, 216 watts plus a 48 inch tube of LED's. If we ever get a PAR meter, I would love to have them tested.

I was speaking more about flow. I believe PC's, T-5's, and MH's are all sufficient to grow monti cap. When I had PC's they worked just fine, but when i put more flow on the monti i noticed more growth. Now I have MH's and i still keep a lot of flow on my monti caps.