Selling Tank Questions

JEN H

Hi Everyone,

Due to some tough economic choices and loss of a job my husband and I are looking to sell our 210 gallon tank. We really hate to do it, but we just don't have a choice. Has anyone on here had experience selling a tank this size? What are suggestions for selling it? We really need to get it gone. We probably spent around $5k or more on the whole set up (including fish etc)...... Obviously we won't see close to that....but any ideas on what we might be able to get for it?

Thanks! I really do appreciate it.

You can usually get $1500 - $2000 for a used tank and set up that size. Especially if its reef ready and has a sump and lights. Some people aren't in the need for money right away so they wait until they get a buyer for there asking price. If you are in the need for money you can part it out and at least get some cash in hand right away. Sorry to here about your woes!sad.gif Good Luck!

It really depends on the condition of everything you're selling, but on average you're looking at 40-50% of the "new" value...some items more, some less. This stuff depreciates pretty quickly.

Also, you probably won't be able to sell everything, so overall, you might expect to get back one-third of what you originally spent.

Just a few quick thoughts:

Be descriptive, where possible use brand names and models (this will make readers more comfortable that they understand what’s being sold)

Post pictures of as much equipment and livestock as reasonable. It’s best to have these prepared, cropped and labeled before posting.

If you post as a complete system either be very clear that you will not part out or if possible set a specific date when you will part out.

Indicate conditions for sale, (first come first sold, paypal to hold ect) Unfortunately you need to be prepared for people to ask for things then not show up or show up late. Being prepared for this should help minimize your frustration.

Jen...

there is good advice above, and check out my post on it: 4 Tips for Getting More Money for Your Stuff Online

In your situation:

1. Parting out will be quicker, and potentially more money. I sold a 57G setup last year and made $250 more parting it out vs. selling it as a whole system

2. Gonzo's points are particularly good

3. AND...be prepared for low ballers. People will give you a pity story, "I have no money, would you sell me the tank for $100", "My budget is $200...will you sell me the whole thing". Don't get annoyed by low ballers, just say No and counter back an offer.

Thanks for all of the advice. I think after another week or two we might decide to part it out. We would obviously have to sell the live stock first.....but we'll see what happens. We had one person interested, but they wanted a pre-drilled tank. I don't think that he wil lfind one for what we had...... Thanks again!

Thanks for all of the advice. I think after another week or two we might decide to part it out. We would obviously have to sell the live stock first.....but we'll see what happens. We had one person interested, but they wanted a pre-drilled tank. I don't think that he wil lfind one for what we had...... Thanks again!