Which test kit for NO3?

dapettit

I need to purchase a NO3 (Nitrate Test Kit). I'm not happy with the Red Sea kit I current use. I have used ELOS kits in the past for dKH and PO4. Color changes are very apparent, so I'm leaning towards them. I have read reviews for both API and Salifert kits. Of course they are both claim to be "the best" kits.

Since my eyes aren't what they used to be I am looking for a test kit that is easy to read (tired guessing at the colors). Heck, I need to use a magnifing glass just to read the syringe on my Seachem kits! :D

If the test is too expensive I won't want to use it as often as I should.

If the test is too annoying or hard to use I won't use it.

If I can't read it or not sure about the results it doesn't do me any good.

I'm only interested in purchasing the kit locally. I think Aquatek cares both the Salifert and ELOS kits.

So what do you use and why?

TIA,

Dave-

I have used Elos for Nitrate (and these are generally my preferred test kits on most everything), however I am now using a Lamotte test kit for Nitrate and now swear by it. I got mine from Marine Depot - I don't think you can get them locally. It is more expensive (around $65) but it is accurate and fairly easy to perform.

Stephen

I have used Elos for Nitrate (and these are generally my preferred test kits on most everything), however I am now using a Lamotte test kit for Nitrate and now swear by it. I got mine from Marine Depot - I don't think you can get them locally. It is more expensive (around $65) but it is accurate and fairly easy to perform.

Stephen

For anyone using the Salifert or the Lamotte, do the reference cards on these kits have colors that have good contrast?

Stephen

Stephen,

I'm not opposed to price as long as it simple and easy to read. bu I need to get a kit today . . .

I've been using the API kit because it was the only one I could get locally. I think for nitrate its both easy to use and read. I haven't used anything else though as comparison for ease of use. The color changes are obvious though. I went from very high nitrates to none showing up on the test so got to see a full range of color change. The only time it's a little iffy is the change between 5-10. To me the color does not appear to change. The test is cheap though and it gives you a good idea of where your nitrates are at. I noticed both RCA and Aquatec use API kits.

AVOID the API kits. I did a comparison once of 2 kits for the same test by them and I got wildly different results.

I have the ELOS and it is easy to use (I never use it so you can borrow it for a while if you).

AVOID the API kits. I did a comparison once of 2 kits for the same test by them and I got wildly different results.

I have the ELOS and it is easy to use (I never use it so you can borrow it for a while if you).

I think that would help my decision. Can you bring it when you bring Bart?

I'm still intrested in what others are using and why?

I have 2 API kits and have taken water to Aquatec & RCA to double check my results (when I first got my tank), got the same readings across the board. All using API kits.

After doing a lot of reading/research it seems that none of the home kits are extremely accurate, especially for phosphates.

I have an API kit and never use it because the color was so hard to read at the lower end of the scale.

Are there any sort of electronic nitrate meters similar to the hannah meters some of use got for phospates?

yep, but they ain't cheap.

I also have an API test kit for nitrates. I also took water in to AquaDome to compare what there Seachem (i think) test kit showed. They both showed high when it was high (30ppm) when the tank was first set up. And both showed 5ppm recently. I get kinda paranoid sometimes about what reading i'm getting and aquadome tests my water for free.

I have not used another test kit yet.

Lamotte uses a "look through" device to read the color. At the very lower ranges (0.25, 0.5, 1.0) its a little hard to read the difference, but at the mid and higher ranges its very clear. Thankfully, recently I'm having to decide if its reading 0.25 ppm or 0.5 ppm, so its not a big deal.

I have a Deltec kit I use of Phosphates. It's the only one for PO4 I've been able to read well consistently.

Stephen

i use the API as well...dont test 4 it enuff to buy a high dollar test kit.

I don't really either. Nitrates maybe 1x a month. Phosphates maybe 2 now that I have a checker. Alk is maybe 1x a week or after big swings in the weather.

If you don't have a Nitrate issue, then a very accurate kit is probably not needed. I was having a Nitrate issue, and wanted a kit that would tell me if the steps I was taking were working or not. Now that I have the issue under control, I only test every couple of weeks instead of every week, and as long as it stays 1 ppm or under, I don't get concerned.

Stephen

I check my calcium, alk and phosphates twice a week. I haven't checked my trates in over a year. Having problems with one of the tanks and need an accurate trate reading before I start dosing carbon.

Finding this post interesting mainly for future use.

I too use a Red Sea test kits to check water parameters, but not as often as probably needed to

be due to color difficulties, etc. Finally got the Jungle Labs 6 in 1 test strips for preliminary checks

and only go with Red Sea when strip reading appears high or is questionable. I found myself

making checks more often. Also occasionly take samples into LFS or our local Petco for

verification when I remember.

Seems to be working okay with my Nano, but realize will have to get more serious, more

accurate when I get the 120 up and running. So far seems to be ELOS or Lamotte test kits

are the way to go.

wayneb

This thread is interesting! It's also very similar to every forum discussion I've read on tests/testing.

When I first had my tank and realized it had major nutrient issues I tested obsessively to see if the myriad measures I was taking were helping. I think maybe because my nutrient levels were so high all I really needed to see were gross changes and any half way decent kit will show that.

Since my tank has 'cleaned up' (no phosphates or nitrates showing) I've stopped testing so much. Usually just every other week with water changes.

More than that, I've had the tank long enough to see that it's healthy. I may have 'trates or 'phates that aren't showing up on the API kits, but my tank is doing awesome so who cares. Between the test (that will show if things get out of hand) and just watching the tank I figure I've got things covered. Is that over simplifing things?

I do need to get a magnesium test.

I had a kinda funny realization the other day. I got rid of hair algae but then had some derbesia growing on a few rocks. Its a pretty macro and my tang likes to graze on it but I really had it set in my head that I needed all nuisance algae GONE in my display. Well, its mostly gone now and I'm wishing it would grow back! My tang is gonna miss it when its gone. How's that for being fickle? :bye:

I may have 'trates or 'phates that aren't showing up on the API kits, but my tank is doing awesome so who cares. Between the test (that will show if things get out of hand) and just watching the tank I figure I've got things covered. Is that over simplifing things?

Exactly...if the inhabitants are happy then who cares. I feel that regularly observing your tank and the inhabitants is more important than the tests. If you regularly watch your tank you will know things are wrong by changes in corals, fish etc...when you do thi long enough you will know when something is amiss. Confirm with testing then make appropriate changes.