Loctite Marine Epoxy - Reef Safe?

The_Colonel

I need to epoxy a few pieces of dry rock together. I did a quick search for Aquamend at Home Depot (which I know is reef safe), but did not find it on the HD website. I did however find this:

http://www.homedepot...96&ddkey=Search

Anyone ever try this stuff, and know if it is reef safe? I just want a backup if I go to Home Depot and cannot find the Aquamend.

Thanks,

JP

I think Brooks tried some and it made his skimmer overflow several times. Might check with him.

Thanks, but I am not too worried about this, as it will be a few more weeks before I even get water in the tank. The epoxy should be completly cured by then.

Is there anything else that people would recommend for gluing rock together? I have also hear of a BASF product called Emaco R400 with a polymer additive called Acryl 60 to help adhesion and make a more flexible joint

Bump... is Loctite Marine Epoxy the best way to go or are there other recommendations? I was going to try and build a rock wall this weekend and was curious. thank you.

Bump... is Loctite Marine Epoxy the best way to go or are there other recommendations? I was going to try and build a rock wall this weekend and was curious. thank you.

Its all I could find at Home Depot, so I used it. I think the general consensus is: if you let it cure completely, it will be OK. If it is not completly cured, your skimmer may go crazy for awhile.

The loctite is nice an thick, very easy to work with. I sprinkled some sand over the exposed epoxy before it cured, and it looks very good. I tried to pull a few pieces apart after curing for 24 hours, and it was solid.

I was kinda annoyed to learn from this thread that Home depot stopped carrying Aquamend. I agree with MikeM epoxy is epoxy but Loctite's 5 minute epoxy putty is not recommended for potable water. PC Plumping Epoxy Putty IS recommended. JB Welds WaterWeld is not only reccommended for potable water but it's "Performance Data Sheet" is exactly the same as Aquamends except for a slightly faster setup time. (If I was to start wild unfounded rumors I'd say JB Weld bought out whoever made Aquamend).

What is the difference between regular j b weld and j b water weld? Can you use regular j b weld in the aquarium?

I don't know. If it's the two part liquid that strikes me as being really difficult to use in an aquarium. JB Weld has several different epoxy putty products and the ones that have fillers (like steel) I would not use. I had a package of Aquamend and the "Performance Data" sheet included with it and the one from JB Weld WaterWeld were almost exactly identical. The differences being a 5 minute difference in working life and slight changes in fonts. (Was what made me think JB Weld bought the manufacturer of Aquamend). Like MikeM said I think any of the epoxy putty products will work as long as there are no fillers that will react with saltwater but WaterWeld and the PC Plumping Epoxy Putty both specify they are safe for potable water where the others I looked at did not say or like Loctites 5 minute epoxy putty said NOT reccommended for potable water.

I talked to the people at Home Depot today while I was trying to buy some Aquamend. Supposedly they stopped carrying Aquamend and have started carrying JB water weld. I just tried a stick of it today. It was a little more sticky when working with it then the aquamend (be sure to use gloves unless you want epoxy hands all day) but like everyone is saying... epoxy is epoxy.

My skimmer did go nuts after I used it but that was the same effect with the Aquamend. The "Safe for Potable Water" marking on the side of the box sold me enough to try it on my tank. I will update if anything doesn't look right in the tank afterwards but so far so good.