bakers racks

lewisweil

I need to keep a couple 55 gallon tanks with minimal space. I was thinking of using baker's racks to provide a quick, affordable space to run my tanks. Is there any reason to not use bakers racks? Can anyone recommend a better solution (that doesn't require woodwork)?

There are some industrial racks you can get (from granger for instance) which can support long term the weight you will need.

That being said when I used to breed cichlids I kept close to 20 tanks in a spare bedroom on racks made with 2x4s and 4x4s. Never had any issues.

Plastic shelving bad. They bow very quickly. Not rated for very heavy stuff. Particle board / MDF not so great and idea either since it tends to soak up the water...before one realizes there is a potential problem and leads to more troubles fast.

You might find some heavy shelving racks at Home depot. Be sure to check the rating for Max weight loads.

I was looking at the metal 'bakers' rack type stuff for a while, but decided against it. Mainly just because I could not find one around the size I needed.

If you are going to use it, buy the higher quality racks with much higher weight ratings. I would go as far as drilling holes through the poles and putting bolts for support. That way you aren't relying on the little plastic collars to hold all the weight.